Tele with contours vs hardtail Strat

expat701

• Members

Hi, I'm planning a partscaster build. I can't decide whether to build a tele with rib and arm contours or to simply go with a hardtail strat.

Leaving aside tonal differences, I'm interested in the differences in player comfort.

Does anyone own and regularly play a contoured tele and a strat?

If so, how do they compare in respect to comfort and general playability?

Is the contoured tele as comfortable as the strat? Is it as well balanced?

• Members

It completly depends on what configuration. For me, if i'm playing what I play, and the guitars have the standard setup, eg, pickups and bridge, then the tele as it will bring the rawk!! However if its for instance any pup combination then I would still take the tele!! lol.

• Members

I've played strats for years and I think they are the most comfortable guitars to play: the contours just fit me very very well.

Every time I buy a tele, I sand a contour into it for my forearm at the very least which makes it MUCH better. The hard edge of the tele just doesn't suit me.

I would *love* to someday have a tele with a professionally made contoured body. It would fix the only feature about a tele (aside from the fugly headstock) that Leo didn't get right the first time.

• Members

I own both. I play sitting down and need the contours. They are different animals. If you go with the strat, get the 7 pickup configuration so you can have just the bridge and neck on to somewhat emulate a tele. I don't think I have compromised anything with the sound of my tele due to the contours, purists will disagree but I own it, so I should know. In fact, it's a warmoth with lindy fralin blues and sounds amazing.

Good luck.

• Members

i have both a regular tele and a strat. contours aside, the biggest difference is where the top[ strap pin is located. the strat is near the 12th fret, the tele is closer to the heel. Thus, making the strat balance better and the tele, depending on the weight of body and neck, tend to have more of a balancing problem.

As much as i love my tele, it is so nice to actually play my strat and not have to worry about keeping it in the proper position.

Why not do a strat body with a tele bridge and pickup? you'd get the best of both worlds!

• Members

I have a tele with contours and several without. It doesn't bother me either way.

I think the much bigger question is whether you want the tele bridge pickup or the strat bridge pickup... (tele for me, by a mile
)

This

I would go nashville style tele with cutaways - there's no substitution for that bridge pick up, nor for the neck + bridge sound for that matter. Put a middle pickup in to get those position 2 and 4 from a strat and you're good to go.

• Members

I have this Tele that has a tummy cut contoured back, and although the front is not contoured, it has an arched top, so kind of similar. This model is also a tiny bit thinner than a standard Tele, and is even closer to a Strat than most. However, a Strat is my main guitar and between the two I find the Strat more comfortable.

goldtopTele.jpg

• Members

I have this Tele that has a tummy cut contoured back, and although the front is not contoured, it has an arched top, so kind of similar. This model is also a tiny bit thinner than a standard Tele, and is even closer to a Strat than most. However, a Strat is my main guitar and between the two I find the Strat more comfortable.

goldtopTele.jpg

That is screaming for some amber speed knobs and an LP pickguard...

Archived