Want to know of a good diy guitar set

Bitterguy

• Members

I haven't been on in a while and i have had a bunch of a ideas for a guitar and had many ideas between buying a guitar and making one.I could not decide .So I have decided I will get a DIY kit. does anyone know a good DIY kit ( I would really like a Reveres FV or FV style.)

• Members

I don't see the difference

Solid mahogany body (like a real SG) vs. a basswood body.

Basswood would be OK if you're going to paint it a solid color. Go with mahogany if you want a clear or tinted 'natural' finish that shows the woodgrain.

• Members

i was looking around at warmoth and i fell in love with the option to customize your diy kit, and the variety's of guitar bodies. so i can up with these 2

Model: Standard Iceman

Scale: 25-1/2 in.

Orientation: Right handed

Wood:

$205.00

* Core: Alder

Control Cavity: Rear Rout

+ $0.00

Pickup Rout: Humbucker (Neck) - Strat

• Members

Yeah, but aren't those prices just for the body only? You're still going to have to buy a neck, then hardware (bridge, tuners, pickups, ect). I don't think Warmoth sells pre-configured 'kits'. :idk: I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but a kit or homemade guitar is going to cost as much or more than a decent used guitar. I hope you have someone (your dad?) who can help you with your project. Making your own guitar can be rewarding, but it can also be incredibly frustrating. You could end up spending a lot of time and money on something you're not happy with and has no resale value. I really think you'd be better off buying a $200 used Ibanez or Squier off of craigslist. Then you can start learning to play right away, and when you no longer need the thing, you can sell it and get some of your $$ back.

Good luck, whatever you decide on.

• Members

I think the important thing about building a guitar is that if you've never done it before it will be a learning experience. In all likelihood when you're finished there will be many things about that you wish had been done better.

Grumpy's right, building a guitar is not necessarily going to save you any money. Good reasons to do it: to have fun; to make something super-custom that you couldn't buy.

That said, those GFS kits are well priced and I've had no complaints with anything I've bought from them before. I've been eyeing one of those all-mahogany SG kits myself.

• Members

Okay i'm going to buy that vintage SG. Does anyone know a place where i can learn to do a burst paint.

-or maybe i can cut &route my own body and just buy buy the kit for neck &parts :D. so if the body fails i have a backup :D

Archived