GFS Tele pickups- any good?

burton4snow

• Members

Getting some popping in my Telecaster pickups and my guitart tech can't figure it out. So I need a cheap solution to get my Tele up and runnning. Looking at these GFS pickups for Tele. Has anybody had any luck with these. If so which ones there are three types- Pure Vintage, Hard Vintage, and Power Rock. Do the Power Rock really sound like P-90s like they say if so I'm interested!

• Members

I installed the Pure Vintage Bridge p/u in my Squier Std. Tele. It was a major upgrade over stock. It is punchy, and gives you snap and that tele twang. It does however tend to be a little bright, not ice picky or harsh, roll back the tone knob and it smooths out. If it were me i'd go with a hotter wound pick up next time, but I wouldn't hesitate to go with GFS again.

• Members

I have an xv-620 (I think -- whichever one is the basic tele) and I never liked the stock pups in it that much, especially the bridge.

here's a direct comparison of the xaviere against a classic vibe tele, everything in the test being the same except the guitars. you'll note the CV sounds like a traditional tele and the xav -- to me, anyway -- sounds thin and gutless by comparison.

http://www.gulchcomic.com/images/squire-vs-xav-clean1.mp3

Archived