HNGD: American Special Strat

deadllama

• Members

Before today, I had certain preferences when it came to Strats I was interested in:

(1) two-point trem instead of the six-screw vintage one

(2) maple fretboard

(3) pre-CBS headstock size/shape

(4) brightly colored finish

(5) for God's sake, no humbuckers allowed, and no Texas Specials, either.

Well, I went out and bought a Strat that's the exact opposite of everything I thought I liked in a Strat, and I love the damn thing. I can't put it down.

I have a mental illness :facepalm: but this thing is beautiful and it plays like a dream, and is at least a pound lighter than my '88 American Standard. It's got that Big Star Radio City glassy sound down perfectly through a Fender tube amp, but it's got some killer tones all the way through the 5-way.

Did I mention it looks cool as hell? Here (I already had the case):

strat1.jpg

strat2.jpg

Blacked out. This thing is a beast.

• Members

BTW, with those specials, really experiment with your volume, they are almost like different pups with the volume down some:thu:

Interesting. I haven't had a chance to go over to my band's rehearsal space and really give it a good workout on my 4x10, but it definitely didn't sound like any other Strat/Texas Special combo I've ever played on the 2x12 at the music store.

I don't know if it's the factory setup, or if they did it at the store, but the two single coils were almost flush with the pickguard on the bass side and raised on the treble, which could have something to do with it.

• Members

I don't know if it's the factory setup, or if they did it at the store, but the two single coils were almost flush with the pickguard on the bass side and raised on the treble, which could have something to do with it.

My ts's are setup with the bass side quite a bit lower. They just sound better that way (imo).

Archived