rakester

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • Members
nice...

my first and only attempt at drilling string ferrules turned out to be a train wreck
:cry:

care to share your technique?

I stuck it on the milling machine and use a digital read out so made things pretty easy.

The only hard part was finding the center point of the guitar again and get the body centered on the milling table, this took a fair while (about an hour of fiddling around):facepalm:

• Members
Bump for question!
:D

Does anyone have any ideas how I can round of the edges nicely without a router?

I don't own a router and at this stage in the build I don't really want to practice with one either.

Do you think hand sanding the edges will do the job?

Tele's have a very slight bevel. I'd hit the edges with 80 grit and progress to 220. You'll probably have to sand some 80 grit scratches off the top and back as well when you are done

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Tele's have a very slight bevel. I'd hit the edges with 80 grit and progress to 220. You'll probably have to sand some 80 grit scratches off the top and back as well when you are done

Yup, although I'm more chicken than Brian and start at 120, and work the paper at 45 degrees in a chamfer style and the paper bending then give the small 2-3mm radius affect that is used on Teles. Really a Tele radius is just a broken edge

And as for your choice of wood, I think you'll find that ajcoholic has used cherry on at least one of his builds

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived