Requesting help from the Pickup building gurus

headless

• Members

I've got a Di Marzio pickup that came out of a Hondo Iceman copy (mid-80's, I think). It looks just like the pickups in the the guitar in the link below:

http://www.vintaxe.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1789&sid=52111ff997b1d34ade232685ca8b1eea

It has push-in plugs on both coils. I had disassembled it completely (except for the windings), a decade ago, and I've just recently re-assemble it.

The North coil had a DC resistance of 4.5k and the South coil was 3.5k. (in case you're curious). The pickup was assembled by the maker with some sort of dense rubber caulk-like material (white in color), squeezed-in around the magnet, spacer and base-plate end of the plugs. I presume that this is a measure to dampen microphonic properties of the assembly (I don't think that these coils were wax potted).

The re-assembled pickup is quite sensitive to any tapping on the body of the guitar (I don't have an amp--using a digital processor--so I don't know if it's microphonic at volume). I was hoping someone could steer me to the correct material to re-dampen the assemble, like the manufacture did.

I considered silicon caulk, but the original material seems quite a bit more dense than that, so I was hoping to get some input before I go ahead on this.

Thanks in advance!

• Members

DiMarzio used some sort of thick glue or caulk in their builds instead of wax potting years ago. I don't know what that material is though. When I do rewinds on old Dimarzios I heat that stuff up to soften it to assemble or disassemble the pickup.

You can use silicone though it's not as dense. I use it on certain pickups including DiMarzios..

BTW I'm no expert but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last nite.:poke:;)

• Members
DiMarzio used some sort of thick glue or caulk in their builds instead of wax potting years ago. I don't know what that material is though. When I do rewinds on old Dimarzios I heat that stuff up to soften it to assemble or disassemble the pickup.

You can use silicone though it's not as dense. I use it on certain pickups including DiMarzios..

BTW I'm no expert but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last nite.:poke:
;)

When I sent-out the guru-call, I was thinking specifically of you, Norcal_GIT_r . Thanks for the input.

I was interested in your take of the unbalanced coil D.C. resistances. I know that this is not unusual in reproductions of Gibson PAF's. But I was wondering how accurate those numbers are to the the original PAF's?

Oh, and thanks for sending me on a Google-chase to find the origin of your Holiday Inn Express reference. I learned something--I hate when that happens.

Archived