instrumentation for a Western film

Mr_GoodBomb

• Members

I'm working on a short film, set in the West. Gun fights, cowboys, horseback, XXX bottles, the whole nine yards. I want to do the title sequence before the film starts shooting to motivate the cast and crew. For this, I need music.

In my head, I can clearly hear the sound I'm going for... Spanish horns, acoustic guitar, that spaghetti Western tictac bass sound... However, if I were to get a local guy who does a lot of composition stuff using sampling and digital instruments, I'd have no idea what instruments to tell him to use.

Anyone here more familiar with this kind of music or soundtrack? Any suggestions on what instruments to use and how to work it out? I can clearly hear horns, the acoustic, and the bass, and I can write out the chords for the guitar and the notes for the bass, and the basic notes for the horns... but no idea what's needed and how they function together tonally. Anyone more familiar here?

• Members

Los Straitjackets have a few songs that I always thought would be just right for an old western.

Surfy

Indeed. Their album "!Viva! Los Straitjackets" includes three tunes that are perfect movie soundtrack material.

"Lonely Apache" - Western

"Espionage" - Spy

"Lurking In the Shadows" - Private Eye

• Members

Anything that Ennio Morricone did for the spaghetti westerns will be a good sound source.

Also check out Greg Edmonson's work on Firefly. It's a sci-fi/western series that ran for only one season, but the music is brilliant and captures the western vibe quite well.

• Members

More the Good the Bad and the Ugly... I'm mainly hearing the bass and the horns/brass, and lots of em.

Don't go cliche with this, though. Brass and horns in a Western could either be mariachi or big-budget-John-Ford Western.

My favorite Western soundtrack is the Neil Young work on "Dead Man".

• Members

In my head, I can clearly hear the sound I'm going for... Spanish horns, acoustic guitar, that spaghetti Western tictac bass sound... However, if I were to get a local guy who does a lot of composition stuff using sampling and digital instruments, I'd have no idea what instruments to tell him to use.

Anyone here more familiar with this kind of music or soundtrack? Any suggestions on what instruments to use and how to work it out? I can clearly hear horns, the acoustic, and the bass, and I can write out the chords for the guitar and the notes for the bass, and the basic notes for the horns... but no idea what's needed and how they function together tonally. Anyone more familiar here?

"Spanish horns": maybe you mean "Mexican" and by that you might mean Mariachi? Mariachi is some of the coolest and most complex (rhythmically) music I've heard - and I've heard quite a bit live when I lived in Arizona. I doubt you could write out a convincing take on Mariachi. It's pretty hard to wrap your mind around it even while you're listening to it.

There are cliched nylon string sounds bordering on Flamenco in the western genre. But, as someone else was saying, I would think Telecaster on the bridge pickup with reverb and either tremolo or a string bending system.

This link:

was a commercial I grew up with. It is meant to be like a Western ballad, telling a story of a hero. Mostly in minor key, Chorus in major; includes a whole step modulation and classic male voices singing the chorus (like "Sons of the Pioneers").

I'd like to know what you think,

Greg

• Members

Fender Bass VI:

bassVI.jpg

A good Jazzmaster with flatwounds will get you there, too. We had an original '65 Jazzmaster here the other day, with the original flatwounds on it. It had the PERFECT spaghetti western tone. My god, it was dead on.

The horn sections should be present, but the notes minimal. So much of the tension in that type of Morricone-esque music came from drawn out sections and the space between them.

• Members

More the Good the Bad and the Ugly... I'm mainly hearing the bass and the horns/brass, and lots of em.

Trumpet solos

String section

Acoustic guitar

Jazzmaster with lots of reverb

Male choral voices

A talented whistler

Jaw harp

That's the basic instrumentation for a Morricone western soundtrack.

• Members

Don't go cliche with this, though. Brass and horns in a Western could either be mariachi or big-budget-John-Ford Western.

Dead Man has a brilliant soundtrack - though in the film the melody does get repetitive.

• Members

"All the Pretty Horses" score is a great Western soundtrack, one that I listen to all the time. Everything that has been mentioned so far, and including:

Fingerpicked classical guitar

Strummed steel string.

Piano with lots of reverb.

Bells, you know, like, from the town square kind of bells.

Marraccas, shakers, other quirky rythmn instruments.

And choral voices, doing a lot of "ahhs" and "ohhs".

But then again, mix it up some, throw in some rockabilly, some punk, maybe some chanting to add spice to it.

• Members

I kinda wanna work with the cliche. It's only a Western because it's set in the West. It's actually a horror theme.

I can hear it so well in my head, but nothing I can find as far as other soundtracks to use as examples is "big" enough.

• Members

If authenticity is important and your budget is tight you are more likely to get what you want by buying pre-recorded production music. (although its great to give some work to your local composer/musician.) The larger libraries will certainly have exactly what you want. Google "production music" to find them.

Archived