Need a new electric

Kino

• Members

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a new electric guitar. I don't want something {censored}ty, but I don't want something amazing.

I was looking for a guitar between $200-$300.

Any suggestions?

• Members

It will probably be for rock music.

diceman, have any links to Cort or Samick guitars?

They're Korean, made in the same factory on the northern edge of Seoul. If you buy them in Korea, they'll cost $20. Really.

For your price range, the options are better than they ever have been. I'd go for a Squier, but only because I am in a Fender phase.

Lots of options.

• Members

http://www.cortguitars.com/

http://www.gregbennettguitars.com/

wither is going to be better than a Squier, not that squier is bad, but Cort is the build house for squier... you can buy the Cort brand for less and get much better pickups, hardware, and features all around... there are a couple of websites that sell them... New Dawn guitars is another option when they get up and running again...

• Members

The easy answer here is a used Yamaha Pacifica 112.

They can be sourced for a very low (used) price, leaving more cash for a decent amp.

You'll get a rock solid guitar that is well built and needs no mods to sound good. The HSS configuration lends itself very well to Rock type stuff and the slim neck and 12" radius make it very pleasant and easy to play.

IMHO it's the best value for money guitar in its class.

• Members

Well I have a Squier Strat, but I'm really not too impressed with it.

What don't you like about it?

There are different types of Squiers, too, made in all kinds of places--each a little different. I live in a pretty dry place so an Indonesian Squier is out of the question for me. The other day I tried a Squier Tele that was actually pretty awesome.

Also some Epiphones in that range.

• Members

They're Korean, made in the same factory on the northern edge of Seoul. If you buy them in Korea, they'll cost $20. Really.

For your price range, the options are better than they ever have been. I'd go for a Squier, but only because I am in a Fender phase.

Lots of options.

FYI... Cort and Samick are NOT the same...Cort is the house brand of Cor-Tek, they are an OEM build house with factories in Korea, Indonesia, and China. they build for Squier, Epiphone, most Korean Fenders were made by Cor-Tek... in fact, if you play any import with a C in the serial number, it's a Cort-Tek made guitar... Samick is the house brand of SMC Music, they also have factories in Korea, Indonesia, and China. Samick makes the Greg Benett line of guitars, which are remarkable for the money. Samick has also built for Epiphone, ESP, Fender, Valley Arts etc...

Samick is the largest guitar producer in the world with Cort right behind it in second place... if you own an import guitar from one of the aforementioned countries of origin... chances are that you ARE in fact playing a Cort or a Samoick...

• Members

OH wow that last Washburn looks like a nice buy for $195.

I'm listening to sound tests of the Ibanez Jetking, it sounds pretty damn good. However, I've also been looking at the Cort M600. Any thoughts on which is better?

• Members

OH wow that last Washburn looks like a nice buy for $195.

I'm listening to sound tests of the Ibanez Jetking, it sounds pretty damn good. However, I've also been looking at the Cort M600. Any thoughts on which is better?

your gonna get mighty mite pups and a graphite nut with the Cort and chances are the Ibby was built by Cort... i don't think you'll be disapointed either way...

• Members

I think I might pay a visit to my local guitar shop and see if they have any Corts there, even Ibanez. The way I am, I just love to play the guitar before I actually buy it. Make sure it fits right. I'm really in love with this Cort though,
http://www.cortguitars.com/_webapp_2726513/M600_T#imgGallery

yep, that's one of my favorites too bud... here's the two Corts that i own...

MR-780-FX A/E

westbury024-1-1.jpg

westbury026-1.jpg

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

X-5

bday001.jpg

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members
FYI... Cort and Samick are NOT the same...Cort is the house brand of Cor-Tek, they are an OEM build house with factories in Korea, Indonesia, and China. they build for Squier, Epiphone, most Korean Fenders were made by Cor-Tek... in fact, if you play any import with a C in the serial number, it's a Cort-Tek made guitar... Samick is the house brand of SMC Music, they also have factories in Korea, Indonesia, and China. Samick makes the Greg Benett line of guitars, which are remarkable for the money. Samick has also built for Epiphone, ESP, Fender, Valley Arts etc...

Samick is the largest guitar producer in the world with Cort right behind it in second place... if you own an import guitar from one of the aforementioned countries of origin... chances are that you ARE in fact playing a Cort or a Samoick...

I was stationed in Korea for 18 months and drove by that factory every time I went into Seoul. Even took a tour once. I saw what I saw: Samick on the sign on top of the building; Samick, Cort, Joy-Joy, Epiphone, Squier, etc. etc. etc. coming off the line and sold in the factory shop. I bought a Samick acoustic 12-string for $5. The day I shipped back to the States, I did a nice Townsend with it ;)

If you spent more than 15,000 won for *any* guitar coming out of that factory, you were had.

Really impressive dumping and refuse thing they had going on. And all those school kids working there? All very illegal by US standards, but in Korea? No one gives a toss.

• Members

I was stationed in Korea for 18 months and drove by that factory every time I went into Seoul. Even took a tour once. I saw what I saw: Samick on the sign on top of the building; Samick, Cort, Joy-Joy, Epiphone, Squier, etc. etc. etc. coming off the line and sold in the factory shop. I bought a Samick acoustic 12-string for $5. The day I shipped back to the States, I did a nice Townsend with it
;)

If you spent more than 15,000 won for *any* guitar coming out of that factory, you were had.

Really impressive dumping and refuse thing they had going on. And all those school kids working there? All very illegal by US standards, but in Korea? No one gives a toss.

if you say so bud... but to my knowledge, Cor-Tek and SMC Music are competitors... but if you've been there, then i guess you'd know... and just to reiterate... if you own an import, it's probably a Samick or Cort...

• Members

if you say so bud... but to my knowledge, Cor-Tek and SMC Music are competitors... but if you've been there, then i guess you'd know... and just to reiterate... if you own an import, it's probably a Samick or Cort...

I'm sure your right about the holding companies, corporate provenance, etc. But I think they all do contract work for each other and just brand differently for each order, just like Samsung, Goldstar, LG, Emerson, and Hyundai all do.

When I took the factory tour, I saw clones of all kinds there (LP, SG, PRS, Strat, Tele....) with all kinds of branding. They also made wind, brass, and string instruments there, too.

Agreed on Korean imports: they all come from the same place, regardless of what the headstock says.

Archived