what makes the reranch stuff special??

roners5

• Members

So I've decided to refinish my bass seen here:

DSCN5126.JPG

it actually is darker than the pics make you believe (it's lake placid blue- it looks more like ice blue in the pics). My plan is for this:

IMG_3372.jpg

but I'll throw a black guard on it and some tinted nitro clear

So anyway I was browsing at Michael's today and came across some pink Krylon spraypaint in a very similar color called "satin ballet slipper" which looked pretty damn awesome

http://www.krylon.com/products/indooroutdoor_paint/

So would I be an idiot to use this stuff? What makes the reranch stuff superior?

• Members

Reranch stuff is good because they give you a lot of information on the site if you're new to finishing.

IMHO it's pricey if you're going to do more then one guitar.

You can buy a small compressor and gun for not a lot of money. Once you do that you can buy your spraying nito super cheap - I pay about $10.00 for Belhan's and it lasts a long, long time.

There are other spray lacquers aside from Re-Ranch - Minway, Rustoleum, etc... The value Re-Ranch adds for you is they sell you the right color, etc...

• Members

You can NOT put a lacquer clear over an enamel paint. It will lift it right up.

If you use the Krylon, use an enamel clear.

Reranch goes to a lot of trouble to make sure colors are accurate, the paint is very high quality with high solid content. Definitely the way to go if you want a pro finish.

You can get good results with Krylon, though. Just make sure to use VERY light coats and let it cure completely before you move on. A good enamel finish takes time.

Lacquer (Reranch or other) is really easy to work, too. After it dries, it remains soft for a while which makes polishing a breeze.

EG

• Members

You're not going to want to throw tinted nitro clear over that krylon. Reranch uses nitrocellulose lacquer.

can you elaborate on this? What will happen?

I guess I'm a bit confused- the actual pink color base is nitro as well?

and to BG76

is that the belham stuff the nitro clearcoat or a base color? Also where do you get it- I googled it but didn't come up with much.

• Members

You can NOT put a lacquer clear over an enamel paint. It will lift it right up.

If you use the Krylon, use an enamel clear.

Reranch goes to a lot of trouble to make sure colors are accurate, the paint is very high quality with high solid content. Definitely the way to go if you want a pro finish.

You can get good results with Krylon, though. Just make sure to use VERY light coats and let it cure completely before you move on. A good enamel finish takes time.

Lacquer (Reranch or other) is really easy to work, too. After it dries, it remains soft for a while which makes polishing a breeze.

EG

ah i see- was a bit too slow with my last post

so I'm guessing that the enamel finish won't "age" will it?

I'm not at all concerned with having an "accurate" shell pink- actually, I'd like a bit more vibrant pink. The bass has this nasty little area:

DSCN5142.JPG

I was going to fill that spot as best I could but I'm not concerned with a 100% pro finish- even kind of a rough, almost relic'd type of thing would be fine with me.

• Members

The correct spelling is Behlen lacquer.

If the Krylon is lacquer, you're ok with the Reranch. Lacquer and enamel don't play well together. Generally, any lacquer is good with any other lacquer.

As far as aging goes, most paint people will argue that nitro is the one that doesn't age well...with the checking, fading and yellowing. Chemists want paint finishes to remain true over time.

Guitarists are weird.

EG

• Members

The correct spelling is Behlen lacquer.

If the Krylon is lacquer, you're ok with the Reranch. Lacquer and enamel don't play well together.

Generally, any lacquer is good with any other lacquer.

As far as aging goes, most paint people will argue that nitro is the one that doesn't age well...with the checking, fading and yellowing. Chemists want paint finishes to remain true over time.

Guitarists are weird.

EG

Kinda......

You can put Nitro Lac. over Acrylic Lacquer.

You CANNOT put Acrylic over Nitro

The solvents for acrylic lacquer will attack the nitro and cause really fine wrinkling. Nearly all enamels are too soft to use on guitars anyway.

You can use acrylic lacquers top to bottom (including clear topcoats, though unnecessary over a solid color). just takes longer to get hard than nitro.

Upside is, tougher in the long run, and available in a bitchload O' colors

(Duplicolor is acrylic lacquer, BTW)

Archived