I saw The Reverend Horton Heat and Cracker last night

BlackCat

• Members

That was a really fun show.

This was my first Horton Heat show and I was not disappointed. They covered most of their old favorites plus a few new songs.

Jim Heath was playing one of his production line signature guitars through what I think was a silverface Super Reverb.

I didn't notice what kind of amp Jimbo Wallace was using but he had one of those beautiful King basses through two 2x15 and two 4x10 cabinets. It sounded almighty.

I've been trying to get my bass player to transition onto stand up but he keeps telling me you can't use a stand up bass for rock. :facepalm:

• Members

How was Cracker? I saw them a long time ago, and have always liked them.

They were really good. I wasn't aware of them but I looked them up and found they were formed by the guy from Camper Van Beethoven who I remember from back in the day.

They had some country via Exile on Main street arrangements that sounded good.

I loved their lead guitarist Johnny Hickman. He played a lot of pedal steel type licks on his Les Paul that sounded great.

He joined the Reverend for one song on harp and two songs on guitar which was a blast.

• Members

Wow, i'm kinda jealous.....i've been a Cracker fan forever--love the humour and wit and songwriting. They've never been through here, though, and at this point, they probably will never be. I've seen the Rev a few times and it's always a fun show. He usually brings pretty cool opening acts that I end up liking.....i'm assuming that he only takes bands that he's a fan of on tour with him. Jim's one of my favorite all time guitarists......while he's considered a rockabilly guy, he's really well versed in jazz stuff, you can hear it on alot of the instrumentals on their albums throughout the years.

• Members

Saw the show at Mohegan Sun last weekend. I went mostly for Cracker, who has been the most consistently great artist over the last 15 years of any band, IMHO.

Cracker kicked ass, as always. They did a signing afterwards, which Artie Fufkin must have scheduled, since it started about 20 min. before RHH stopped playing. :facepalm:

RHH..is a mixed bag for me. Great guitarist, but has painted himself in a corner with similar arrangements, lyrical content, etc. I kind of love him and hate him at the same time. His fan base doesn't seem to notice, which must make it hard for him to grow when you're playing to the sub 2,000/show audience.

He did play a micro-set of five tunes from his latest album, Laughing and Crying, which I picked up, and finally was able to finally check out this afternoon. Great album, with considerably fewer of the RHH cliches. Die hards will probably hate it, but I give it a big thumbs up.

Catch the show. Well worth it.

• Members

Actually one could argue she has more talent then Kim. She taught him everything he knows on guitar, and he taught her how to play the upright. Both of them wrote the songs collectively, and it was her idea to incorporate the go go dancers into the band. She also has a better singing voice IMO(I prefer female vocs), and looks a helluva lot better then Kim.

Awesome band and clip though. :thu:

• Members

Saw the show at Mohegan Sun last weekend. I went mostly for Cracker, who has been the most consistently great artist over the last 15 years of any band, IMHO.

Cracker kicked ass, as always. They did a signing afterwards, which Artie Fufkin must have scheduled, since it started about 20 min. before RHH stopped playing.
:facepalm:

RHH..is a mixed bag for me. Great guitarist, but has painted himself in a corner with similar arrangements, lyrical content, etc. I kind of love him and hate him at the same time. His fan base doesn't seem to notice, which must make it hard for him to grow when you're playing to the sub 2,000/show audience.

He did play a micro-set of five tunes from his latest album,
Laughing and Crying
, which I picked up, and finally was able to finally check out this afternoon. Great album, with considerably fewer of the RHH cliches. Die hards will probably hate it, but I give it a big thumbs up.

Catch the show. Well worth it.

Agree with your assessment of the two bands. Have seen both Cracker and Camper within the past twenty five years and respect any project that has either Lowery or Hickman in it.

• Members

Agree with your assessment of the two bands. Have seen both Cracker and Camper within the past twenty five years and respect any project that has either Lowery or Hickman in it.

Do you have Palmhenge, Johnny's solo album? Great record that was completely overlooked. Friends, the duet w/ the guy from the Drive By Truckers from the last album was rescued from it.

The All Thumbs Trio (Johnny, Gibb Droll and Chuck Garvey from moe.) has a great show available on archive.org.

• Members

They did play "Low". They did it pretty much the same as the recorded version as far as I can remember.

Low and Teen Angst are pretty much guarantees at their shows. Just about anything else is fair game.

Most, but not all of their three minute tunes have composed solos. Johnny usually stretches out on One Fine Day, or something similar.

• Members

Cracker are such a great band....they have alot of weird detours (ie: "I Want Out Of The Circus", etc) but they're just a damn good rock n' roll band with some country and roots here and there.

Yep.

I might be in the minority, but my favorite lineup was the one with David, Johnny and Frank, along with Brandy Wood and Kenny Margolis in the band.

Brandy wasn't a flashy player like Davey Faragher (now in Elvis' band), but she was a solid player, a great singer, and well, pretty cute.

Archived