Since you guys made me feel so good about my Les Paul issues...

Ryan.

• Members

I have one more question for you!

After I get this thing fixed up and in shape (Gibson Les Paul Studio Silverburst)...

I'm wondering about switching one of the pickups out. The rhythm one.

I'm not an amazing guitar player by any means... and every guitar I've ever owned... Fender Tele, Strat, PRS Custom, Ibanez RG... I NEVER EVER EVER use the rhythm pick up.

Can anyone steer me towards something to try as maybe a "secondary" lead or otherwise?

Any ideas?

• Members

Is there a reason WHY you don't ever use the rhythm pickup?

On an LP in particular, it's quite a different, but usually very nice tone.

Probably most other pups you put there are not going to be a "2nd Lead" tone... this is mainly due to the sonic difference of a pickup that's located in that geometry of the neck.

M

• Members

in order to make a good recommendation......i think we'd need to know what kind of music/sound you generally play.....classic 57's are great in the front.....unless you're play metal.....then not so much.

i'm a classic rock.....blues/blues-rock guy.....and i LOVE my Burstbucker Pro's....in both positions.....but if yer more into harder stuff......there's the Angus Young's or the Tony Iommy.......or the Dirty Fingers......all high gain pups.

• Members
Try an HB sized p90 in the neck. It will be a lot snappier sounding.
:thu:

^The only way to fly.^

OP: neck pickups are just like that. You can adjust this or that, but its always gonna be kinda bassy. Not the best for rock riffs.

Neck pickups are best when clean or very lightly and transparently overdriven (ts9 style)

Usually the amp/pedal settings you use for your bridge pickup will sound like fuzz mud with the neck, and vice versa. Good neck pickup amp/pedal settings with sound harsh and shrill with the bridge pickups. IMO, that is. Its hard to fund a channel/setting that great for both. There are little exceptions (some clean channels, very light overdrives) but by and large this is what I've experienced.

Play around more before you go a changin, you already have great pickups.

Archived