what song are you going after at the moment

jack harper

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Flame away. They're both badass songs, whether you like the guy or not.

Thats a pretty good dvd. i saw an edited version that direct tv showcased but still some good stuff.

I have had some love/hate issues with him, but only because i want his life

• Members

Fearless - Pink Floyd

never tried playin in open G before, so its as good a place to start as anywhere else

I figured out how to play this a few years ago, NOT knowing it was in open G. What I came up with is ~90% on the money.

Same thing happened to me learning Dogs (all strings tuned down 1 step). And same outcome. so, hey, why not know a song in standard tuning if you can, save yourself having to change guitars or detune, right?

• Members

Pride (In the Name of Love) - trying to nail down playing with heavy delay.

Time (PF) - the solo is easy but working through the phrasing...

A (hopefully) helpful tip regarding "Pride": in case you haven't heard it yet in the recording, on the intro, there's two guitars. The one in-the-background that doesn't stand out on its own, is a percussive, straight 8th note (or 16th note?) picking of a muted strings. This track helps achieve the overall "delay" sound you hear. I learned this the hard-way a few years working on this song for the U2 tribute band I was in at the time. I didn't hear that 2nd guitar track at first, and was mad like hell wondering why I couldn't dial in a setting on my delay pedal to get the overall delay sound I heard.

• Members

Under The Bridge, I can listen to this song for hours

I love that song... glad I took the time to learn it. I like to play it minus the guitar intro.

Also, I love the single-note line he does as a fill between the B chord and C#m - one of my all-time favorite bits of guitar music right there. BUT I haven't practiced that line enough to say that I can nail it like he does.

• Members

Stairway to Heaven. The whole thing. :++ The Rover

Metallica - Fade to Black

Pantera - This Love, Cowboys and Cemetery Gates

Since you're listening to it closely: in Cemetery Gates, is my ear correct in thinking I hear a piano track in the intro?

• Members

I am currently working through "favorite" songs off Metallica's Kill 'Em All.

got done (just rhythms - no solos) with Jump In The Fire, Whiplash, Four Horsemen, Blitzkrieg and Seek and Destory.

Man, the guitar tone on that album is so killer, the songs so good, I wish I learned this stuff years ago.

After this, my plan is learn a lot of King Diamond songs from the first four albums, AND the solos - I still think LaRacque and Blakk are two of the very best when it comes to great shredding ability BUT ALSO great note choice and sense for melody in their solos (so their solos sang, instead of otherwise just being "a bunch of notes"). I want to improve my metal soloing capability, so I figure "let's learn from my two fav's".

• Members

I love that song... glad I took the time to learn it. I like to play it minus the guitar intro.

Also, I love the single-note line he does as a fill between the B chord and C#m - one of my all-time favorite bits of guitar music right there. BUT I haven't practiced that line enough to say that I can nail it like he does.

ha! i cant get that down either are you using a tab? what is your source?

I think the intro is the best part.

• 2 months later...

Archived