How to tell if a case lock is broken?

jaeger82

• Members

EDIT: Never mind I figured it out... Nothing to see here. :cop:

I just bought a guitar on eBaY, and the shipper forgot to tape the keys on the outside... So I had to pick the locks to try and get it open.

I manage to pick one of the locks on the left, so that I could pry open the accessories holder and see what was in there... Low and behold, the keys.

So I get the keys out, great! Not so fast, the key(s) don't open the other side.

When I use the key on the other lock yet to be picked (can't pick it for some reason, I'm using paper clips BTW) It just turns past the 180 degree point, pops, and goes past the point with no lock opening...

Broken? Wrong Keys? Is it possible that I broke it trying to open it with paper clips, or was it most likely that way before hand.

p.s. This is a Road Runner tweed case.

• Members

Sorry for such an obvious question, but does the key lock the one you managed to pick?

I didn't want to check until I got it fully open... It took me a good while to get that one.

I need to make sure the guitar was as described on eBaY.

• Members

May be a stupid response, but I've seen it happen before.

Is the case the kind where you have to slide the lock over to unlatch it. I don't know how many times I've seen guys getting new guitars thinking the case is locked when really all they have to do is slide the lock over to unlatch the case.

• Members

When I try to turn the key (without the latch in place) the part of the lock that goes in the latch loop doesn't turn at all, the key just pops something past the 180 point and keeps going... I assume that's how it locks, unless there is something underneath.

The key feels real loose.

A) find out if it's the correct key at guitar center (ug)

B) break the locks, lose the case.

y4r0x.jpg

• Members
My be a stupid response, but I've seen it happen before.

Is the case the kind where you have to slide the lock over to unlatch it. I don't know how many times I've seen guys getting new guitars thinking the case is locked when really all they have to do is slide the lock over to unlatch the case.

Nope, it's not one of those cases. ;)

edit: Yes it was, lol...

• Members

OK, now I feel stupid.

I goto GC only to find out that they ARE push over unlocking latches...
I've never had a case where the push parts WERE the key locks. I'm used to combination cases. When I picked the lock I must have accidentally moved that part over and didn't know it.

Anywho, the guitar is as described, so GG.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Archived