I need new tuners.

dc81

• Members

If you are having tuning problems be sure it's not the nut needing some lube, and be sure you don't have the pickups too close to the strings. A fresh set of strings can also work wonders. Old strings do funky things.

• Members

I think a diagram is possibly useful here.

These are the primary causes of tuning stability issues on a Fender style guitar (you can work it out easily enough for others):

tuningstability.jpg

The problem, as you can see, is that you have several points where the design puts a significant kink in the string, and this is where strings get snagged. This is especially problematic on trem guitars, but even just doing a bit of vigorous bending can lead to a strong not returning to pitch.

It's not a problem with tuners generally - it would require a ludicrous amount of force to actually pull the gears in even cheap tuners by stretching the strings - it's because the string is getting snagged when you remove ther tension of the bend.

Lubricating as many of these points as you can get to will work wonders. The one that people tend to forget about is the string trees, and they can be hugely problematic, especially the flat-0edged type.

• Members

Knowing the component quality level of Ibanez, I really doubt you need new tuners. Also knowing their nut work at the mid and lower level stuff, I can almost assure you it's the nut. Research how to wind strings correctly as well, as that is also a common source of going out of tune.

Archived