Help me iron out some tone kinks

jr_vw2

• Members

I have been gettig a little frustrated with my tone. I noticed that on some days I'll play and it will just rip. Then other days I seem to be turning on knobs the whole time I'm playing chasing last nights tone.

Well today I narrowed it down it's not a day to day thing it's more of a where I'm standing in the room thing. If I stand in a certain spot it sounds awesome if I move to another spot it sounds buzzy and fizzy.

Is this a crappy speaker issue or an amp issue hat is getting masked by the acoustics of the room?

Running a Soldano Avenger into a Peavey 4x12ms cab

Thanks

• Members

You've pretty much answered your own question. It's an acoustic thing. You might try hauling your rig into another room and see how it sounds. But it's likely that whatever room you're in you'll hear differences in the sound depending on where you stand.

When I first started out engineering I did a lot of studio recording and it was pretty common, even in a controlled acoustic environment, to have to walk around the room with the mics to find the best sounding spots. The instruments interact with the room and the room interacts with the instruments.

Your rig seems pretty solid and straightforward. So, I doubt that there's any need to change anything with it. I'd say dial in your tone, find the best sounding spot to play and :rawk:.

• Members

The bad part about that is the "good" spot is an a really awakward place. I think I will try moving my stuff around the room. I hav heard that the Sheffield speakers that I have can be pretty fizzy though.

• Members

Don't be afraid to admit it... you sound the best in the bathroom on the toilet. It's okay.

I do my vocal recordings naked in the bathtub, in the basement of my parents' house.

i actually have done some vocal recordings in my bathtub before....but i wasn't naked.

• Members

Sound waves, when they collide into one another, either cancel each other out, or amplify one another. They will do this all though out a room. It's just the way it is really, you just have to find the spots that sound good to you and that is where you sit. There should be about 12 sweet spots, at ear level, in a average sized room.

Archived