new strat pickup shielding

bmast160

• Members

i took the pick guard off my american deluxe strat. on the body of the guitar under one of the pickups it looks like there is a black metal that is showing through a little of the paint that is worn away. is the entire pickup and wiring section of a strat surrounded by a metal casing to shield the pickups?

• Members

I don't know about the American Deluxe, but on everything else Fender uses a paint that contains metal to shield the pickups. They spray the cavity and then use a screw to go through the coats of paint/finish (attached to a washer, which is attached to a wire that runs to ground) to shield the pickups.

It may be the washer you see.

• Members

Yes, stop. The black is part of the shielding. The whole idea of removing the paint so the guitar can "breathe" has to be one of the most idiotic I have ever heard.

+ One Zillion...... Dont ruin your geetar by listening to this fool.....

• Members

Just read the article...... WTF..?

I bring you number 4:Take care of your neck cavity. Uninstall the neck and check the cavity; it should be absolutely free of any paint, dirt and other things. Over the years I've found a lot of funny things there -- credit cards, paper, cardboard, etc.

Idiot has never heard of shims...?

Also, The bottom and sides of the neck cavity should be absolutely plain and free of any paint. If they're not, take a piece of sandpaper and rework your cavity until you see the plain wood. If you feel that the neck does not fit the cavity because the cavity is too wide or too low, get your guitar to an experienced luthier who will "shim" it. Bad work at this critical point can ruin your guitar's tone!

Completely contradictory.... Remove material, so you can take it in and have a shim put in after you destroy the pocket..?

Where do I get his job..? I am a complete idiot, but know better than this guy.

Archived