Which Fender Strat to mod for best sound?

swanusa

• Members

I had a post asking about choosing between Strat, Les Paul and PRS. Most suggested PRS but they are expensive guitars especially the ones I was interested in so I'm back to thinking of getting a Strat and modifying for best intonation and playability with no string buzzing or other problems. I want to be able to play different styles with it like Blues, Rock, Metal, Jazz etc. I have good pedals already. I would like to change the pickups, probably have locking tuners, etc . I would like a color finish that will fade over time too.

Please suggest which one I should go for. Please also suggest good mods. Standard or Highway 1 or Deluxe or Ash or Custom, etc for a good tone for around $1500. (I like the feel of Highway 1 but am not sure if it holds good intonation over time?).

• Members

Paul Reed Smith, in my opinion, did a fantastic job of combining a Leas Paul with a Stratocaster. The PRS is a good choice for versatility.

A less expensive solution would be to 'build' your own guitar with quality parts from someone like Warmoth. You can get a strat body routed for the pickups of your choice and specify neck size, fingerboard radius and wood type. You also get to choose the hardware you want (for tuning stability etc..) without needing to buy it in addition to the original cost of the instrument.

• Members

I don't see why a Hwy 1 would not hold its intonation. Once intonation is set it is pretty well set, unless you change string gauge.

Really, the weak spot with a Strat is tunning stability. This goes from very mild to extreme depending on trem use usually. Modern trsq xl nuts solve this problem though and they are easy to install. So that is a great mod for strat.

Another option is to get a strat with a floyd rose. Not for everyone, but they are extremely stable once you learn how to set them up.

The next biggest mod after that is pickups. And that is such a personal thing that you'll have to really decide it on your own. If you are buying a $1500 strat though, it likely wont need any mods.

Something else to look for is strats that come stock with LSR roller nuts, those are a nice and stable nut as well.

• Members

check out the Peavey HP Signature series... somebody on here just picked up a US model for around $800 i think... i own the Korean model... very PRSish...

HSS Strat works too, i've got a TTM Slayer that's an HSS, not really my thing though... i prefer HSH, HH, SSS, or a set of P90's myself...

• Members

If intonation and "in-tuneness" are high priorities, consider a guitar with a "corrected" scale. I have never played like an Anderson with the Feiten system, but do own a Melancon "Strat" with Gerard's own "corrected scale" system. It is amazing to behold how in tune it is all over the neck. No special tuner needed.

Before you get price crazy, there are several people making guitars like this. Used they are available for way below new cost, close to the price of like a new American Strat. And guitars can be converted, though I have no idea of the cost. And some like the Earvana nut. I have one, but it's on a Carvin. They don't benefit it much, as their factory processes are so precise in terms of fret placement (not my thoughts - was told that by the tech at Elderly in Lansing who installed it, then said he could hear no difference at all).

Just my thoughts thought. Having said those, though, I've played Strats of various kinds for 35 years and have rarely had problems such as you describe. And Fender is now making some of its best Strats ever, IMO, so if you found a good deal on one made in the last two or three years (not sure they made that last wave of changes), some great instruments can be found for under a grand, I would think.

• Members

A strat is basically a neck bolted on to a body. If you're going to mod it - swap out the electronics, fit a new nut, tuners etc etc - then simply buy the guitar that sounds best acoustically. Most Strat models are basically the same thing with different hardware added on.

• Members

I have a HWY 1 HSS Strat, bone stock (except for the locking tuners). It does all things well.

If the nut is cut right and the strings are properly installed there shouldn't be a problem with intonation.

• Members

Do you mean tuning stability or intonation? Once your intonation is set it is pretty much done unless you move the saddles or change the string height or string gauge.

The PRS SE singlecut are good modding platforms. You can g.et them with humbuckers or P90s. You can get trems

Archived