Using HRD as a cab with AC4TV

datru

• Members

I currently have a tweed Hot Rod Deluxe amp (Jensen Alnico speaker) which I'm pretty happy with. I've been thinking of getting the Vox AC4TV amp head and using the HRD as a cab, just for fun and a different sound. By the way, I don't gig, just a bedroom player.

Dumb idea? Any reason not to use a combo amp as a head? Any idea what that speaker/amp combination might sound like?

• Members

I've done it many a time. Provided your ohms match, you're good.

That might be a problem. I think the AC4TV has a 16 ohm output and the HRD speaker is 8. Will that be okay? Other options available?

• Members

i recommend against it. supposedly tho going from higher ohm amp to a lower ohm speaker is better then the other way around ( i dont understand how) but still bad for your amp. i have an orange 12 inch that is 16ohms and i wanted to use it as an extension cab for my hrd but after some research i decided it was not worth the risk.

• Members

No, it won't be okay. If I recall, you can plug into speakers rated for more ohms at the expense of a volume decrease; plug into fewer ohms and risk frying the amplifier.

No, that is for SS amps, not tube. Some trannies can handle that much mismatch, some can't.

• Members

No, that is for SS amps, not tube. Some trannies can handle that much mismatch, some can't.

This may or may not be true (and actually, I think it's the other way around), but just do yourself a favor and never plug a speaker load into an amp where the speaker load is less than the amp's output. The amp is expecting a certain amount of resistance, which dictates how it spews its electrons forth. At the very least, it'll work and you'll say "I told you so", or maaaybe you'll lose some volume or tonal charactaristics. Worst case is that you lose a transformer and lord knows what else it takes out on the way.

• Members

This may or may not be true (and actually, I think it's the other way around), but just do yourself a favor and never plug a speaker load into an amp where the speaker load is less than the amp's output. The amp is expecting a certain amount of resistance, which dictates how it spews its electrons forth. At the very least, it'll work and you'll say "I told you so", or maaaybe you'll lose some volume or tonal charactaristics. Worst case is that you lose a transformer and lord knows what else it takes out on the way.

I'd agree with this pretty much all around.

Archived