Loose strap button on PRS...

cvogue

• Members

I'm a bit worried about this. I tighten up the bottom strap button screw on my PRS (bought used about a month ago) and it's fine for a few hours and then loosens up again.

Should I take it to a tech? I've heard PRS uses long screws for the strap buttons so I'm leary of taking it out all the way and I also worry about replacing it with a longer screw (don't want to split the wood!)

Anyway, any insight appreciated.

• Members

pull the screw and replace it with one just 1/4" longer...you will not split the wood and it will bite new wood enough to keep it from backing out...

or...put a drop of white glue on the screw tip and replace it...but you'll never get it back out...

• Members

I'd just use a toothpick (or part of one, with pointy end toward you). Some may tell you this is a bad idea, but I've never had a problem.

Anyone who say it's a bad idea doesn't know what they are talking about.

This has never failed me and you don't need glue as some will suggest.

• Members

I'd just use a toothpick (or part of one, with pointy end toward you). Some may tell you this is a bad idea, but I've never had a problem.

So you just remove the screw, put a toothpick in the hole and screw the screw back in?

Could it be that easy?! :D

• Members

So you just remove the screw, put a toothpick in the hole and screw the screw back in?

Could it be that easy?!
:D

Yup. That's the way to do it. No glue. Just make sure it's a maple wood toothpick. You know... for the tone.

:lol:

• Members

The toothpick method is time tested and works fine. For those who move around a lot on stage I like to use 6/32 threaded inserts and 6/32 machine screws. The trick is to use a larger than recommended drill bit and put the insert in with epoxy putty. A small piece of tape on the end of the insert will keep the epoxy from getting in the threads. Then use some blue locktite on the screw. When done you have the most secure strap buttons on earth.

Oh, and let the epoxy set overnite. Also use a short 6/32 screw with a pair of jam nuts on it to sink the insert. Then you won't bugger up the end of the insert.

Archived