SD Curlee, late 70's to early 80's. Rare. NEED HELP.

Janwender

• Members

If you sell it, don't bother to show your face around here again.

If you refinish it, don't bother to show your face around here again.

If you put beeswax on it, don't bother showing our face anywhere again.

When I die and my kids get my instruments...they better not sell them to buy an Ibanez. I will frickin' come back from the dead and slap them silly.

Surfy

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was thinking in your pics it looks like the guitar may have gotten damp or has water damage, like it was kept in a basement. Can you post some clearer pics?

I'll try. Using artificial light in the pics (it doesn't change what it looks like) because it's too dull outside. I'll get some high quality pics for you soon.

Okay I've pretty much decided to keep it, thanks for everyone's advice! I appreciate it. I just need to know what to do with it. The pickups are quite close to the strings, and I've been testing it out downtuned (drop c-b) and the pickups are doing quite well. The strings are 20 years+ old and I'll get some replacements. I've got some spare XL D'Addario Nickel Wound-Supper Tops/Reg. Bottoms, and some XL Nickel Wound-Regular Light Guage which I use on my Les Paul, would these work well?

• Members

I won't paint it, I like the natural finish.

I'll try. Using artificial light in the pics (it doesn't change what it looks like) because it's too dull outside. I'll get some high quality pics for you soon.

Okay I've pretty much decided to keep it, thanks for everyone's advice! I appreciate it. I just need to know what to do with it. The pickups are quite close to the strings, and I've been testing it out downtuned (drop c-b) and the pickups are doing quite well. The strings are 20 years+ old and I'll get some replacements. I've got some spare XL D'Addario Nickel Wound-Supper Tops/Reg. Bottoms, and some XL Nickel Wound-Regular Light Guage which I use on my Les Paul, would these work well?

Yes, those will work fine and will sound unbelievably better than what's on there.

• Members

I've seen those roadstars for like $150; don't sell your Dad's guitar, bro. I only wish that I had a guitar that my Dad used to play...

These guys telling to to raise those pickups are right; that thing will sound great w/ those pups a little closer to the strings...

The pickups are quite close, 3-4mm away. They seem to be working fine, just not as loud as the newer Dimarzio Super Distortions.

I think I will get it professionally setup and restored with Cargill Custom Guitars (http://www.cargillcustomguitars.com.au/). Been told by friends who have been customers there, that they do a great job, full servicing is $130. Friends seem to think that it won't change the original finish that the guitar had when it was bought, what do poeple think? I live in Australia, think I forgot to mention.

• Members

A "full service" will probably involve a damn good clean, a re string, adjusting the intonation, action and if necesarry the truss rod and maybe, just maybe some fret work.

They won't refinish it at that price and nor would you want em to, them battle scars are mojo!

I'm really glad you decided to keep it, I think you'll find it's irreplacable

• Members

Janwender - you're on the money now! That thing with new strings will blow your mind. You're going to get a lot of grunt from those humbuckers, they don't make 'em like that any more.

Generic Ibanez superstrat = not punk

Tweaking your dad's weird-ass, beat-up rare electric into a noise machine = 100% punk

Plus - if and when you go after something new in your sound, chances are a guitar that well made will take you there.

• Members

I won't paint it, I like the natural finish.

20+ year old strings is probably the main problem about that guitar not sounding right. get them changed and get a setup and you should be set. If it still doesn't sound right, then it is time to change the pickup.

• Members

Janwender - you're on the money now! That thing with new strings will blow your mind. You're going to get a lot of grunt from those humbuckers, they don't make 'em like that any more.

Generic Ibanez superstrat = not punk

Tweaking your dad's weird-ass, beat-up rare electric into a noise machine = 100% punk

Plus - if and when you go after something new in your sound, chances are a guitar that well made will take you there.

It sounds great when I play any of my downtuned Metalcore songs. I'll sell my Washburn PS80 which should get me $200-250 which I can spend servicing it. God I misjudged it.

• Members

20+ year old strings is probably the main problem about that guitar not sounding right. get them changed and get a setup and you should be set. If it still doesn't sound right, then it is time to change the pickup.

Yeah. The pickups are very nice actually. They've been setup well too. My Dad seems to disagree with me about changing the strings :p.

• Members

Yeah. The pickups are very nice actually. They've been setup well too.
My Dad seems to disagree with me about changing the strings
:p

Wierdo!

I love new strings. I know some don't like the brightness that comes with em, but you have to change strings regularly because as they age they become impossible to tune or intonate

• Members

Marshall Valvestate VS265, with a Boss GT-8 Guitar Effects Processor, on Metal Stack setting.

The kids these days... :cop:

Anyways, glad you decided to keep the guitar. If you want inspiration from what metalcore can sound like on vintage gear, check out Life in Pictures. They've been broken up for a few years, but they were absolute badasses in their day, without going 'ultra high mega gain'. I miss that band so much... it's good to know they immediately reformed with a new singer and new name.

• Members

Wierdo!

I love new strings. I know some don't like the brightness that comes with em, but you have to change strings regularly because as they age they become impossible to tune or intonate

Yeah. When I take it to Cargill, which may be sometime next week, I don't know, but anyways I'll give them the strings to put on. My mate has an amp which he is taking there so I'll probably come with him, don't know when he's going though.

Anyways, here's a picture of the back of the neck which I talked about. You might have to zoom out a bit to see it better. Hopefully can get some high quality pictures tomorrow ):.

photo0040.jpg

• Members

I'm happy that you decided to keep it. Many SD Curlees were hand made. And you have an American made vintage guitar. Pass it on to your oldest child when they are old enough to appreciate it with the condition that it cannot be sold and must be cared for and passed down the generations.

• Members

Yeah, that is just wear on the back fo the neck, from your Dad playing the hell out of it; The finish looks cool. Guitarts look better wore in like that. That guitar is {censored}ing awesome... new strings and your good to go...

Yeah, but how do I stop it from making those marks?

Also guys, what model is this? I still have no idea.

• Members

Ok, first, I had one of those way back in the 80's, and they are perfect for punk, which was what I was playing at the time.

If you really want to get rid of it, I'll offer you one of my guitars as trade.

Second, an Ibanez Roadstar II is about as good as a Squier.

Archived