Jazzmaster/Jaguar/Mustang Love?

aloha

• Members

Aloha all,

I'm usually a LP / Tele guy.

Currently, I have a Carvin Sh550 and a nice Esquire.

I had to sell a bunch of my guitars. I'm starting to bounce back, though, and am beginning to look around. I'm sure you all know the feeling...

All hater and fanboy B.S. aside, I really liked my Carvin Holdsworth and find myself eyeballing them from time to time.

At the same time, I've been also flirting with these off-beat Fender goodies. Anyone feel like posting me some real-world G.A.S. inducing offset Fender beauties?

:facepalm:

Here we go again!

• Members

Here's my 1965 Jaguar refinished in Inca Silver.

IMG_1921.jpg

IMG_1927.jpg

IMG_3021.jpg

Here's my 1966 Jazzmaster that I'm currently refinishing in Shoreline Gold since the old refin it had when I bought it was horrible (though it looks okay in the photos.)

IMG_3308.jpg

Here's the body in the middle of the refinishing process:

IMG_4271.jpg

Here are a few other offsets I've owned but no longer have:

IMG_3025.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_1318.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

IMG_3247.jpg

• Members

Wow...Tweedledee...

Those are beautiful!

Which are your favorites? Is it the single coil Jaguar, the short scale Mustang, or the Jazzmaster?

How would you describe the difference (subjective experience-wise)?

• Members

YOU SOLD THAT JAZZMASTER!?
:eek:

that one's always stuck in my head as the one jazzmaster I want to have - or if I ever have one, the one I want it to look like.

J Mascis agrees:

11-j-mascis-dinosaur-jr.jpg

J.M. and his super high/lap steel action. :)

• Members

YOU SOLD THAT JAZZMASTER!?
:eek:

that one's always stuck in my head as the one jazzmaster I want to have - or if I ever have one, the one I want it to look like.

I know, it's kind of crazy that I sold it. Particularly after I spent all the time finishing that body in transparent blonde. :D But, I got a great deal on the 1966 Jazzmaster and had to sell that one to pay for it. I couldn't afford to keep both, so it made more sense to keep the vintage one.

I do miss it though...

• Members

I love Jazzmasters, but I never really cared for the shorter scale jags and mustangs. It is kind of odd, as I have no issues going from strats to LPs, but the short scale fenders always felt odd to me. A real shame, as they are really great looking guitars.

• Members

Wow...Tweedledee...

Those are beautiful!

Which are your favorites? Is it the single coil Jaguar, the short scale Mustang, or the Jazzmaster?

How would you describe the difference (subjective experience-wise)?

Thanks!

As far as favorites go, the '65 Jaguar is an absolute tone machine. The neck pickup alone always makes me smile. It's so full sounding and articulate. Plus the neck is fantastic.

The '66 Jazzmaster is high on the list as well. That's why I've kept those two out of all of the ones I've owned. Actually, the Mustang with the natural finish was a fantastic guitar that I put together out of parts. The body and neck were from 1966 and it just felt "right" for some reason. I probably should have found a way to keep that one.

• Members

I certainly appreciate the feedback everyone...

I know that these aren't the most popular guitars outside of the 90's alternative and old-school New Wave crowd.

While I was around in the heyday of Sonic Youth (etc), I don't make music like they do. But, I do like really clean tones and fat strings don't scare me. I've heard that, if you can handle those in terms of technique, than there's a big payoff when it comes to tone.

Am I out to lunch?

For the sake of clarity: I play through a Gibson Goldtone 15 watt w/reverb and nothing else. No effects...(because I'm too lazy to shop for them, get cords for them, and/or feed 9V batteries to them)...:facepalm:

• Members

As far as favorites go, the '65 Jaguar is an absolute tone machine. The neck pickup alone always makes me smile. It's so full sounding and articulate. Plus the neck is fantastic.

You know, the Jaguar is not the prettiest (when compared with the Jazzmaster, for example). So, I was thinking that there must be some kind of super-mojo that was going on there for you.

With a recommendation like that, I'll make an effort to wrap my fingers around one the next time I see one.

:love:

• Members

Tweedledee, that '65 Jag is freaking
gorgeous

This.

In fact, I never even looked at one before today. I was focused on Jazzmasters and Mustangs. I think, maybe, because the Jaguar seems to have so much metal on it...(but, even saying that makes me feel lame)...:rolleyes:

Anyway, Tweed is an awesome sales person!

• Members

I love Jazzmasters, but I never really cared for the shorter scale jags and mustangs. It is kind of odd, as I have no issues going from strats to LPs, but the short scale fenders always felt odd to me. A real shame, as they are really great looking guitars.

Same here. I heard great sounding jags and mustangs from other people, but I just can't get used to the weird cheapish feel and the 'ploinky' zero-sustain tone. Too bad, 'cause they're two of the coolest looking electrics ever made.

I also love Jazzmasters, but right now I can't justify having more then 5 electrics at the same time, so my AVRI had to make room for a strat and a tele.

• Members

What kind of pickups would you folks recommend if I was looking at doing a single-coil Jag that'll go humbucker when combined? I'd prefer hotter pickups and good low end to a "vintage" sound.

I was after the same thing and ended up getting another guitar to compliment my jag. Just couldn't get what I was looking for from the jaguar and wanted a real humbucker sound sometimes.

Here's what I ended up with.

ltd_side1.jpg

Between my jag and this, that's all I've been playing since I've gotten them. Thinking about thinning the herd some.

• Members

I was after the same thing and ended up getting another guitar to compliment my jag. Just couldn't get what I was looking for from the jaguar and wanted a real humbucker sound sometimes.

I was in the same boat,,,plus I wanted a modern version short scale :idea:

Archived