What is a good pedal for metal that doesn't sound like crap?

jr_vw2

• Members

I really liked the Metal Muff Pedal. I tried a lot of different ones, and with my Peavy Classic 30 and a medium output humbucker in the bridge it sounds really good for heavy blues (w/ gain down low) to metal (gain turned up to noon and beyond). I also liked the hardwire TL-2. Very razor sharp, almost buzz saw sounding. Check the you tube videos of these to listen to their character. In third place I like the Barber Dirty Bomb. This one sounds great, but not as flexible as the Metal Muff IMHO.

• Members

I don't own it yet but am looking into getting the AMT B1 (Bogner styled) for that kind of tone.

GREAT pedal. All of the AMT Legend series nail the signature sound they are after. I miss my M1; dead ringer for a modded JCM800.

• Members

I use a good ol' Ibanez Tube Screamer in front of my PowerBlock for my main sound. I play mostly Stoner Rock and Doom Metal, but I just plugged a 7 string Ibanez into it tonight and it can do the brootalz very well IMO.

I run a Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive in front of it as a boost pedal and a GE-7 EQ to fine tune the overall sound. Through a 4x12 it sounds massive.

• Members

^^The Jekyll and Hyde has a distortion with an internal trim pot so you can tweak the low end on the Hyde. The Jekyll (Tubescreamer clone) also has a bass boost. If you tune to drop d or c, both sides of the pedal will shake your foundation! I use it with all of my amps--even my vintage voiced Voxes, and it never gets fizzy or phasey. No idea what it's gonna do with a Power Block.

If you want some great Marshall sounds, I'd look at the Radial Tonebones--Hot British and Plexitube. They will warm up your Power Block, but they will probably cost more than you paid for your Power Block. The Hot Brit is cheaper and you might be able to find one used.

By the way, I think you can purchase the Hyde by itself these days which might be the way to go.

V2_SOH_large.png

• Members

I really liked the Metal Muff Pedal. I tried a lot of different ones, and with my Peavy Classic 30 and a medium output humbucker in the bridge it sounds really good for heavy blues (w/ gain down low) to metal (gain turned up to noon and beyond). I also liked the hardwire TL-2. Very razor sharp, almost buzz saw sounding. Check the you tube videos of these to listen to their character. In third place I like the Barber Dirty Bomb. This one sounds great, but not as flexible as the Metal Muff IMHO.

+1 for metal muff! But if i had a engl or a laney/orange etc id use nothing.

• Members

Floyd is my favorite metal band.

I was replying to lp_junkie in a more general sense.

However, a good deal of metal guitarist use a distortion or overdrive pedal. For instance, Zakk Wylde with his MXR ZW44. James Hetfield's apparently been using a Klon Centaur. Randy Rhoads used an MXR Distortion+. Kerry King's using a Radial Tonebone Trimode Classic Tube Distortion.

Archived