best tele copy from rondo?

zoobdo

• Members

Some of the older Yamaha Teles like the SD-120 pictured above as well as the more traditional single coil version the Yamaha Pacifica 102S are excellent bang for buck teles I would say better than the SX for quality as the early 90s were still made in Japan.

• Members

BTW: I have a love/hate relationship with GFS, but I might as well pimp them here.

I ordered one of their Pawlearawana (whatever) lightweight Telecaster style bodies because I had some parts lying around to slap on it.

For $40 - $60, these are AWESOME Tele bodies! So light, I was worried at first there would be neck dive with the assembled guitar. The pickups & hardware was enough to balance it out, though. The one I ordered is a translucent finish, and if you look VERY closely, you can see the join between the wood segments, but once the pickguard went on, you can't even see it.

The finish is... a tiny bit soft & fragile. Just setting bridges & control plates on it while I was working on it was enough to ding it up... but I'm betting that will buff out just fine. Worst case, I slap my own new layer of clear on it.

From now on, I'm ALWAYS ordering their Tele bodies when I want to do my own builds. I might try an unfinished one next. Those flame maple-cap tele bodies look impressive.

Archived