Best Overdrive/Distortion pedal for tube amp

elvisart

• Members

I don't know if it will suit your style, but you might want to check out a treble booster. It does not make your sound thin and brittle, it just pushes alot of upper mid signal into the amp causing it to break up really nicely. Brian May from Queen used one.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
WORD...
:thu:

My J & H sounds like butta through my Hot Rod Deluxe...

I've read great reviews on this pedal. I've also read from multiple sources that the Visual Sound Jeckyll and Hyde pedal is a modified Tube Screamer circuit on one side and a modified DS1 circuit on the other side. I thought this information might be helpful as a reference point.

• Members

can't speak for the jeckyl/hyde since I've never tried the hyde part of the distortion but I have a double trouble which is two of the jeckyl overdrives side by side. It sounds great and gives me incredible versatility. I can set one of the drives for a clean boost, set the other one for more dirt, use one or the other alone, or combine them for a totally over the top sound. Add that to my 3 channel amp that already has great distortion and the possibilities are endless.

Anyway, the J/H is a good recommendation. If you just want an overdrive and don't need the hyde's heavy distortion, check out the double trouble.

Another good choice that has been mentioned is the bad monkey.

• Members

There's a lot of OD pedals out there and they interact diffently from amp to amp.
I have a few favorites that are over the top and mild sounding:

Fulltone ODC
Matchless Hot Box
Boss OD3
Boss Blues Driver
Maxon OD808
Vox Valve Tone

• Members

You guys really like the Bad Monkey? Wow...maybe I need to try it again, but the one I tested at the store sounded...er...not so good...

As always, results depend on the guitar & amp connected to it

Thru my 2 modded Vox Cambridge 15s, it has a very nice tone. Supposedly the BM works best in front of tube amps, but again YMMV.

Archived