Most DURABLE strings?

notjonahbutnoah

• Members
Nothing to do with how hard you play. Simple metallurgy. The metal of the string is harder than the metal of the bridge saddles, creating burrs. Change to stainless steel or graphite saddles- done.

:facepalm:

Yeah, it's got nothing to do with how hard some numbskull bends the string.. :rolleyes:

• Members

I bought a bunch of DR Tite Fit strings a few years ago because the price was great. It ended up being my worst experience with strings in 20 years of playing! Many of the strings would not intonate properly right out of the package and they broke often!

I switched back to the cheap XL D'Addario strings and I can't remember the last time I broke a string. I haven't experienced any bad intonation on strings at all. D'Addario may not be the toughest strings, but they are certainly better than DR Tite fit in my book. :thu:

• Members

I do have a too heavy touch....I'm trying to work on a lighter touch, but live I just hit my guitars hard...I think it looks a bit wet when everythings blazing and the guitarist looks like he's scared of his guitar and tickling it like a softy! :D

I do find however, during a show with fresh strings, that I rarely break one, but if they've been on for a week and done a rehearsal or 2, I'm breaking 'em all over the place, and thats on any guitar I'm playing, so it's definitely user error on my part.

I just think that the cost of a pack of Strings per gig is worrthwhile for the smooth running of the show,

:thu:

• Members

I got 23 guitars in the studio I keep restrung. I buy 5~6 sets at a time and have tried every brand made. Many are simular in lifespan and what they can take bending/picking.

lately I've found Sfarzo 9~46 superior to every other brand for intonation, durability, and staying in tune. As far as tone goes they have a littel higher iron content which gives them a littel stronger output then other strings.

I do dip my ball ends in super glue though then let them dry and wipe off any excess. This makes them act like super bullets and keeps the ends from unwrapping and going out of tune.

I can say I'm brutal on strings and rarely break strings. If I do and its at the bridge I smooth the saddel grooves so it doesnt occur again.

You also want to inspect new strings. More than once I've seen rust under the chrome/nickel finish. You get old stale strings that have been on the shelf for years and they'll get a littel moisture in the pack and rot from the inside out.

Archived