Stupid question, how in the hell do you do a pick scrape?

jds22

• Members

:confused:

Not that I feel I need to add this to my bag of tricks but I just can't seem to get one to sound good.

Listening to some of VH's songs, Ed throws in some pretty cool sounding scrapes.

Is there some secret I don't know about. Should the pick be angled one way or the other?

It can't be that difficult.

:confused:

• Members

Do it slow, not too much pressure, start at the pole piece (the adjustable one nearest the bridge, not the slug) of the bridge humbucker and end at the neck joint.

Some picks lend them selves to this better than others.

Gator grips are great for it. (gott go thick or theyll chew up) Tortex are alright i guess. Nylon is awful. Celluloid is good but also lasts for about half a set. I'd imagine a big stubby or one of the pointy v picks would be good.

I love pickslides (scrapes if ya like) (big NOFX fan)

Edit because i wanted to add that they are tricky because they're kind of a delicate maneuver, and they only show themselves (for the most part) in fast/aggressive music. I'm still perfecting mine.

• Members

Nylon is awful.

Really??? That's the only kind of pick I've ever really used. I've been using Dunlop Nylon 1mm since the 80's. I wonder if that's been the problem the whole time. If I try a slide, it just sounds kind of dead, no volume, almost muffled.

So it might not be that I was doing it wrong but that I have the wrong pick for the job. Somebody also said thin to med work better which makes sense.

I'll grab some different picks after work and see what happens.

Thanks

• Members

Somethings I've learned about pick scrapes:

You must hold the pick perpendicular to the string. Angled into or away from the slide doesn't work.

High gain is almost a necessity.

It will never sound right acoustically. If you can hear your own unplugged sound, you will think you're doing it wrong. But if you pull it off, it will sound right to the audience.

It's a huge cliche.

• Members

I wouldn't say Nylons are AWFUL, but they're definitely not the best... I get by with Nylons... but at the same time, I hardly ever do pickslides. So...

Well yeah, agreed. It's not like I'm going to start doing pick slides all the time. I was just wondering why my didn't sound like all the others that I've heard. I'll try some different picks and see what happens.

:thu:

• Members

i use Fender Heavy picks....and i file the edges kinda like a knife edge.....and generally just drag down the low E.....unless i really DO want a multi-scrape sound.....and i DO lean on it a little....and yea....they only make it about 3 sets....and then edge of my picks look like a serated steak knife....SO WHAT!!

i get a good aggressive "zizz".....and picks are freakin' cheap. :thu:

there have been several great "zizzerz".....Gary Richrath used to get some good ones going....obviously Tom Scholz is a zizz-master.....:thu:

• Members

I will agree that doing pickslides with a nylon pick is pretty tough - I mostly use Jazz III's, and it's pretty tough to get a good-sounding pickslide with one. With plastic or V-picks, no problem at all.

I've never gotten good pick slides with tortex picks either.

Archived