GC King of Blues Winner - Randy Scott

orbm1

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
There's nothing wrong with declining to give an opinion out of respect. I was referring to those who hide behind their inability as a reason for not saying what's on their minds. I repeat: cowards.

Its easy to be a critic. Anyone can say "that sucks", "he sucks", "my friend can play better" etc. I dont think people refrain from saying stuff like that because they're cowards. Afterall how much balls does it take to critique someone on the internet? Uhh none. Its just a matter of being tactful and not coming off like an overly-critical jealous douchenozzle. The guys pretty good for not playing for nine years or whatever the {censored}. Does he deserve to win the contest? Who knows? Who gives a {censored}? These contests are mostly BS anyway. Is it real blues? Ofcourse. Its a legitimate style of blues. Is it generic watered-down white boy blues? Maybe . . but so what? Eric Clapton has made a career out of playing that crap. :wave:

• Members
Its easy to be a critic. Anyone can say "that sucks", "he sucks", "my friend can play better" etc. I dont think people refrain from saying stuff like that because they're cowards. Afterall how much balls does it take to critique someone on the internet? Uhh
none
. Its just a matter of being tactful and not coming off like an overly-critical
jealous
douchenozzle. The guys pretty good for not playing for nine years or whatever the {censored}. Does he deserve to win the contest? Who knows? Who gives a {censored}? These contests are mostly BS anyway. Is it real blues? Ofcourse. Its a legitimate style of blues. Is it generic watered-down white boy blues? Maybe . . but so what? Eric Clapton has made a career out of playing that crap.
:wave:

You make some good points, although just saying that something sucks isn't being much of a critic. When I said that I didn't hear any pain, I probably should have clarified and said that I didn't hear a lot of feeling. It's funny that quite a few people seemed to agree, but I got pegged for it. So be it. Then, they took it from the ridiculous to the sublime with the post about how if bluesmen smile, it can't be the blues. Personally, I found that hysterical. I also wonder if they have a clue as to the lives that many bluesmen have lead -- lives informed by pain. I've met a few and don't hold any pretentions that I can relate to their lives. I can only tap into my personal experience when I play. And no, you don't need to "hold a note for 20 seconds and grimace." I just listen for playing that is informed by something deeper than the scales.

By the way, I'm not jealous of the guy. It's not a type of playing that I would ever aspire toward. Then again, I don't try to play like Joe Pass, either. He was brilliant, but it doesn't make me jealous. The ones that do make me jealous tap into another dimension, bring it from somewhere else, and place communication over technique. Marc Ribot, for example -- now there's a guy that makes me jealous.

HE is good, but I have seen better in my local competition... more jazzy than bluesy....
:idk:

What do you think???

:wave:

Omar
:thu:

Sweet playing!! I loved that backing track because it gave you a chance to go out of the box and explore creating more of a story than a solo which is just what you did! Congratulations and at least your out of next years competition!! :o

:D

• Members

I personally thought he was pretty damn good..His acoustic playing was flat out fantastic..Is there better out there i'm sure there is..That is just a fact in life..

Congrats to him good luck with his career..

No matter anything else you have to love the G&L Comanche he's playing..:thu:

Has there ever been a King of the Blues winner that used the contest win to seriously break into the music biz?

I personally thought he was pretty damn good..His acoustic playing was flat out fantastic..Is there better out there i'm sure there is..That is just a fact in life..

Has there ever been a King of the Blues winner that used the contest win to seriously break into the music biz?

Agreed. The acoustic playing was hot!!:thu:

• Members

Last years winner Kirby Kelly is a pro and plays all over the place.

iNrFu_p_ajY

• Members

Complete with a hot serving of teh clams!!
:love:

Frets that was some nice playing there also...I have tried to enter twice both times i was rejected due to complaints of my status as amateur Versus pro both time the complaint was brought by the same person..Who is actually a better guitar player than me so i have no idea why he keeps bitching about me entering the competition..

• Members

Frets that was some nice playing there also...I have tried to enter twice both times i was rejected due to complaints of my status as amateur Versus pro both time the complaint was brought by the same person..Who is actually a better guitar player than me so i have no idea why he keeps bitching about me entering the competition..

ummm Kirby Kelly is/was a pro and Won last year..

Archived