Can the Tonelab ST be beat for $199

• Members

Which Tech 21 TM do you have? The 30 or 60?

the older 10 watt with the 8 inch speaker. But it is really clear and have put other modellers with great success through the return for a small system for bedroom use. Eventually I took them out!!!

• Members

I'm not sure if you recommended a modeler in there. Did you?

I don't even know if I have to classify tech 21 as modelling. But depends on sounds you are after actually, the pod x3 is better at some the tonelab series better at something else etc but both are ages behing a good VST pc system or the axe-fx. Or freeware amp modelling which is the biggest surprise for me. And those are amp-modelling.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

^ cool, I might trade in my AD30 for one of these, I don't gig, and the AD is one heavy amp...

p/s Will it be in stereo or mono? I once had this Behringer DI unit, but there was only sound coming from one of the speakers (this applies to headphones as well).

• Members

mho..

guitar rig 4 and amplitube 3 are just miles ahead of any stand alone modeler.

Tried most all of them.. and for shear fun guitar rig 4.. for sound quality amplitube 3

But then you're tethered to a computer, which is even worse if you own a desktop. I'd like to be able to take the thing anywhere: the couch, the porch, wherever.

• Members

So can you use this like a pedal board into your amp? or are you supposed to run this into a PA in lieu of an amp? or is this mainly meant for recording? There are so many options out there I get confused about these things.

They're designed to be able to output into an amp, a PA system, a computer or headphones.

• Members

I've tried to embrace modeling for a long, long time. Some bad, some terrible and a few that were very usable in my opinion.

I can't speak to the AxeFX stuff as I only briefly tried one while buying a cab though it's obviously impressive.

The Vox line is the only line that is a a very reasonable cost that does what I want a modeler to do. Very decent cleans and very decent low to medium gain tones. I had an AD30VT when they first came out and I still have an original Tonbelab, a DA5 with an 8" speaker and a VT15 that I'm going to try to put a 10" speaker in.

I've never played the ST so I don't have experience with the 33 'models' it offers, but my Tonelab has 16 distinct models and the VT15 has 22.

As to the other modeling options, I've had Line 6 amps and PODs, several Digitechs, Tech21 Pedals though never an actual amp, a couple Zooms... probably three or four more I'm forgetting. I think the Line 6 stuff excels at high gain and clean cleans but leaves something to be desired on the low to medium gain tones. The Digitechs do a few things well, but overall... not very good in my opinion. I had an RP250 that sounded great as a headphone amp, but I was never happy with any of the cleans or low gain tones through any amp. I have a Zoom G2 which has a great 5150/6505 model that I absolutely LOVE, but other than that is pretty weak.

The Tonelab/Valvetronix stuff covers a lot of ground and does a very good job at all of it. I've never been truly happy with any of the high gain tones from any of the Valvetronix amps other than the blue VT/VTX series, but I get great tones out of my Tonelab when run into the FX Return of a Peavey Prowler tube amp.

For the most part, for my own needs, the Vox stuff is absolutely the product to beat if you mostly play clean or with low to maybe medium gain. If you play mostly high gain and pure clean, the Line 6 stuff would probably be my first choice.

• Members
Have any of you guys that own this used it for USB recording?

Really thinking about getting one of these for home recording use. I love my AD30VT so I imagine this would make me just as happy tone-wise.

I have a ToneLab ST and from what I can tell the USB interface cannot be used for computer-based recording, only for basic patch library management--and it's very limited at that. While I like the tones I get from my ToneLab, it does not have a full computer-based interface like Line 6's GearBox, which to me is a pretty big limitation.

• Members

I have a ToneLab ST and from what I can tell the USB interface cannot be used for computer-based recording, only for basic patch library management--and it's very limited at that. While I like the tones I get from my ToneLab, it does not have a full computer-based interface like Line 6's GearBox, which to me is a pretty big limitation.

No, it does not have software like the Gearbox, but that only means you make the adjustments on the module itself. As far as usb connection to recording software it records just fine. The knobs and controls on the ST do what the software does on a toneport. I record mine with Reaper.

If you can't record with the Tonelab ST, I'm assuming you've never recorded with the toneport. You have to do the same setups in your recording software for both.

• Members

So far so good, the ST is way much easier to program than the Tonelab SE, the effects took me a while to figure out how to tweak, but I now have that down as well.

Again I purchased the ST primarily for a practice headphone amp (My mother lives with me and she is very ill)

I forgot to mention that GC offered a free set of AKG K44 headphones to anyone that purchased a ST over the holiday...the headphones aren't bad.

Maybe now that I'm able to practice again I will eventually get the urge to record.

Anyway Tonelabs are killer headphone amps (The selection of amps and cabs are perfect for my taste)

• Members

This unit never worked out for me, but I am primarily a high gain user. I've owned practically everything in the Multi-FX world and in this price range, the Zoom G2.1Nu is my preferred choice.

I cant get a decent high-gain metal tone out of this thing either. I dont really care since thats not a style/tone Im interested in, but I wouldnt recommend it to anyone that wants more gain than classic/hard rock.

• Members

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only way I was ever able to get good high gain tones out of my original Tonelab was to run it right into the FX return of a Peavey Prowler tube amp. It has a Celestion Relic 30 speaker which is pretty similar to a Vintage 30, but I digress.

For some reason, running it into the front end of a tube amp does fine for the Fender, Vox and lower gain Marshall tones, but for the higher gain Marshalls, Mesa and Soldano tones, it had to be run into the FX return. Felt and sounded MUCH tighter and more... RIGHT THERE.

That's my $.02 anyway. Also might explain why the higher gain tones seem to fall a bit short on the Valvetronix modelers while the cleans and low and medium gain tones sound very decent.

• Members

I cant get a decent high-gain metal tone out of this thing either.

Honestly, its hard, not just with this unit, but with everything I've owned. I learned to use multi-FX's at headphone and home volume levels only. Basically as a practice tool. As soon as you get to gigging volume levels, the more they all sound like ass to me, even when compensating for the Fletcher-Munson effect.

• Members

my personal opinion, and please take this with a grain of salt, but Digitech RP models sound like ass to me. They sound so digitized.

Yep. I have an RP90 and it sounds awful to me. I use it for a headphone amp when I`m trying to be quiet but can`t imagine ever using it on a gig..

I`ve messed around with the Tonelab and even though I`m not much into effects/processors I really like them and will buy one someday..

• Members

Yep. I have an RP90 and it sounds awful to me. I use it for a headphone amp when I`m trying to be quiet but can`t imagine ever using it on a gig..

I`ve messed around with the Tonelab and even though I`m not much into effects/processors I really like them and will buy one someday..

I'm in the market for a new modeling pedal (waiting until next month to see what line 6 is bringing to the table). I currently have an RP 100, which I think is pretty awful. However, by all accounts the newer generation of RPs are much better (the x55's, 500, 1000) so you may want to give them another shot. Someone who owns one may want to chime in on that score though.

• Members

I'm in the market for a new modeling pedal (waiting until next month to see what line 6 is bringing to the table). I currently have an RP 100, which I think is pretty awful. However, by all accounts the newer generation of RPs are much better (the x55's, 500, 1000) so you may want to give them another shot. Someone who owns one may want to chime in on that score though.

I have a new RP255, and I think it sounds pretty dog gone good, especially for the price I paid, $106 shipped from M123. But I haven't compared it to the Tonelab. I do have a Vox Valvetronix amp, and I think the effects with the RP unit sound much better, thought I can get a pretty good sound out of it, too, by itself.

Archived