Question for you guys that have piezo bridges

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I'm interested by the idea of having a piezo bridge on the electric, not to emulate the sound of an acoustic, but to blend with the magnet pickups. Piezo's have a wider frequency range and a more three-dimensional sound, and I'm interested in using them to make the overall guitar sound more three dimensional. What's your guys' experience on blending piezo with magnetic pickups?

• Members

I'm interested by the idea of having a piezo bridge on the electric, not to emulate the sound of an acoustic, but to blend with the magnet pickups. Piezo's have a wider frequency range and a more three-dimensional sound, and I'm interested in using them to make the overall guitar sound more three dimensional. What's your guys' experience on blending piezo with magnetic pickups?

I have one on my Carvin it isn't too bad but i don't use it much. It sounds beautiful when i play through both my tube amp and my small amp for the acoustic sound. I just think that it takes too much time to turn the knob to switch from acoustic to electric to match a certain song. I LOVE the acoustic and electric at the same time though. It sounds great when they blend together. I don't think it's worth spending that much extra money for piezo pups, but it's a very cool feature.

• Members

I do about a dozen songs per gig using a piezo bridge along with the magnetic pickups.

[YOUTUBE]grazlFQV8Jc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]MM_ivS1-b5k[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]_-s5IVPUKwE[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I realy love the combination. For me it opened a new world of possibilties.

A few years ago I bought a Godin LGX which has a LR Baggs and two Seymour Duncans. The sound of the piezzo is OK. It is not a Taylor or a Martin, but it gets very near an acoustic guitar with a piezzo. There is no feed back and a little equelizer on the guitar gives you some volume and tone controles. On stage I prefer to use the separate output of the LR Baggs through a D.I. to the P.A. and a good monitor. In some songs I only use the piezzo, but in others I use both at the same time and I can assure you: people are amazed by the sound, produced by only one guitar. The more recent LGX-models even have a synth output: even more options.

I am a big fan of piezzo bridges, and although I have some other pretty good guitars, the LGX is my main guitar, because of its possibilities.

I have no experience with other piezzo equiped brands: but you're never wrong with Godin.(I even sold my Gibson for it: never regretted it, the LGX is at least equal in every department)

• Members

Yeah, I currently have a Parkwood H2 (which is like a 335-sized jobbie) and previously had a Godin. It does add body... even if you aren't interested in acoustic tones specifically, blend the neck pickup with the piezo adds... well.... like I said, 'body'. Esp jazzy tones with the tone controls tamed down a bit.

Having said that, I could easily live without it.

Archived