Any luv here for the Gibson Burstbucker 3? I'm having a hard time with them.

GAS Man

• Members

Just got a new 2009 Ltd Ed Nighthawk yesterday - BB3 in the bridge.

Already had a Gibson Ltd Ed LP Studio w a BB3 in the bridge

And a Joan Jett Melody maker with a BB3 in the bridge.

They just seem to be a bit too sharp and edgie for my tastes.

I absolutely luv the tone of the BB2 in the bridge my RI '59, but the 3 just seems to take it a bit too far.

I would leave it as is in the Joan Jett because it's meant to be played with a good chunk of gain, and so of course was the idea behind the BFG

But with the Nighthawk, I think it's got to go.

They basically scare me. It's like when I often see an upgraded Epi LP with pickups they sometimes have had the BB2/BB3 combo, and I've thought, "gee if they had only done the BB1/BB2 combo, then that would really be something".

But I do think it depends upon how much gain you like to use. For me, I'm playing clean most of the time.

Any other thoughts here from BB3 users?

• Members

The solution is the Classic 57
:)

I'm leaning towards pulling the BB-3 out of the NH and putting a BB-2 in there. They seem to my ears to be a little warmer than the '57s and yet still have a bit more 3-D to their tone due to the uneven coil winds. But then again I've never A/B'd the '57s and BB2s in and out of the same guitar.

• Members

Yeah, a bit to high output and a bit too bright for my tastes though I could live with one. My only experience (that I know of for sure) is with a BFG. Tried it over an extended period through a Delta Blues 2x10 and through a Vox something 120 watt Valvetronix... the one with the blue grille cloth.

Honestly, I liked it, but I'm more of a Seth Lover/57 Classic kinda guy.

I think if I had quite as many guitars as you, I'd personally consider leaving the BB3 in the Joan Jett, but put something a bit more tame in the others, esp in the Nighthawk.

• Members

I like the BB3. I also like playing with a good amount of gain. I think they sound great, at least for what I do. The problem I have/had with them is that they can start squealing/feeding back pretty good when you start to turn up the volume. But I like guitars that are kinda out of control, I'm just weird like that I guess. As for the clean tones, I alway's just rolled back on the volume for a smoother warmer tone.

• Members

to each, his own i guess. my R4 Oxblood has a BB2/BB3 combo and it is my go-to hard rock guitar. the bridge pickup sounds great with the tone rolled back to about 8.5 (can get shrill at ten, IMO). i play it through a high-gain marshall and it sounds great- very present, but not overly so. not brittle and not squeaky. maybe i found the needle in the haystack, but i would never think of going with a different bridge PU in this guitar.

web04GibsonR4_Oxblood-001.jpg

BTW, i had a set of aldrich pickups in one of my Hamers and couldn't get on with them personally. they sounded like there was a blanket over the amp and generally dull.

again- to each, his own.

• Members

I have a buddy that had the Aldrich set for a while and I think they are one of those sets, much like the Tone Zone/Norton set, that really depends on your total package of how you dial your amp in. They are definitely darkish, but they can sound great and thick and do the soaring lead tones, but your amp DEFINITELY has to be set differently than, say, if you normally use a JB/59 set.

• Members

That's a beauty GD; didn't know those had a BB2/3 combo, figured it was 1/2. Definitely to each, his own as you said. Really surprised you didn't like the Aldrich set though.

thank you! yeah, i really wanted to dig the suhrs because i've always appreciated Doug's tone (even if i don't consider myself a fan). they were in a Hamer USA Mirage II; mahogany body with maple cap and fender scale, so they should have sounded amazing, but just didn't do it for me.

WEB96HamerMirageII-001.jpg

As it is, i have three other Mirage IIs with the stock SDs and they sound more "alive" than the one with the Suhrs. oh well, could have been a bad pair of pickups. it's possible.

• Members

I have a buddy that had the Aldrich set for a while and I think they are one of those sets, much like the Tone Zone/Norton set, that really depends on your total package of how you dial your amp in. They are definitely darkish, but they can sound great and thick and do the soaring lead tones, but your amp DEFINITELY has to be set differently than, say, if you normally use a JB/59 set.

it's funny you mention the norton/tone zone Dimarzio set; i have them in another guitar and i love the combo. ballsy and thick, but nice and crisp when i'm doing the solo thing. just a nice sounding set of pickups.

Archived