Selling CD's at gigs....

Richard King

• Members

I recorded and mixed a live gig for a local band last month. They are thinking of doing the "buy my CD" thing at their gigs. I have informed them of all the royalty requirements and will not release anything to them until that is taken care of (I'll probably have them pay me to take care of it). Once that is done and they order a bunch to sell, how much should they sell them for? The CD's will have 8 songs, all covers. Total time is just under 48 minutes. I have, in general, gotten VERY good comments on the final product from those who have heard it. When I walked into the club last week where they play every Wed. evening I had several people who I don't even know ask when the CD's will be ready. What do you guys who sell them at gigs get for your CD's? I still have to explore on line sales and if you feel like throwing in comments/suggestions on that topic, feel free to do so.

• Members

I recorded and mixed a live gig for a local band last month. They are thinking of doing the "buy my CD" thing at their gigs. I have informed them of all the royalty requirements and will not release anything to them until that is taken care of (I'll probably have them pay me to take care of it). Once that is done and they order a bunch to sell, how much should they sell them for? The CD's will have 8 songs, all covers. Total time is just under 48 minutes. I have, in general, gotten VERY good comments on the final product from those who have heard it. When I walked into the club last week where they play every Wed. evening I had several people who I don't even know ask when the CD's will be ready. What do you guys who sell them at gigs get for your CD's? I still have to explore on line sales and if you feel like throwing in comments/suggestions on that topic, feel free to do so.

The first thing I thought... how about adding two really rough demos on there and sell it for $10. If not, $5. Like Jeff mentioned, make sure those licensing fees get paid which of course will mean no profit to the band even if they sell several hundred CDs at $5.

In 2002, I did a CD for my Church, we had to pay licensing fees for about 8 songs out of 12 or so on the record... after we got done selling 100 CDs, I think we just covered the fees and didn`t make enough for the actual production of the CD. If we were a business, we would have lost money on that one.

• Members

Music seems to be free nowadays...I don't like it but that's what I see. I'm actually thinking of putting my next CD out for Free for download and charging for the Physical CD, but making it a package with Video, Pics, Schwag, etc....I don't really know what else to do..I'll put a pay what you want for the download and I know lots of people who will pay but I would rather get the music in front of people and I look at it as marketing all the things I do. Writing, playing, producing, etc. Anyway, anyone who is thinking that they are going to profit on CD's these days is crazy. They are promotion. For me, it's going to help with touring. It's a tough road these days if you're an artist but those of us who have to do it, will. Good luck!

• Members

Music seems to be free nowadays...I don't like it but that's what I see. I'm actually thinking of putting my next CD out for Free for download and charging for the Physical CD, but making it a package with Video, Pics, Schwag, etc....I don't really know what else to do..I'll put a pay what you want for the download and I know lots of people who will pay but I would rather get the music in front of people and I look at it as marketing all the things I do. Writing, playing, producing, etc. Anyway, anyone who is thinking that they are going to profit on CD's these days is crazy. They are promotion. For me, it's going to help with touring. It's a tough road these days if you're an artist but those of us who have to do it, will. Good luck!

I just put out a Christmas CD, we sold 125 CDs since last week for $10/each. I think people still want to buy music if they are fans. Fortunately, through my Church work, I sort of have a "following" which I`m grateful for. Granted half of the proceeds are going towards the music ministry in my Church but still, people are buying. Hopefully we can sell another 40-50 this week.

• Members

I shot a video of one of the songs (single camera hand held) and was thinking it might be interesting to shoot a large portion of a gig and do the video DVD thing. The video is below. Way too dark, but with proper planning that could be taken care of. The singer on this sings only this one song on the CD. The audio is from what willl be on the CD, not camera mic audio.

More of their "stuff" is here: http://soundcloud.com/richard-king

[video=youtube;o2OqvA5U6wE]

Archived