How different is the feel of a Rickenbacker???

fretmonster

• Members

People are so full of s""t when they say the neck are narrow. They just keep parroting bull they've heard from other people. Necks on 12s feel narrow because of improper string spacing but the actual necks are basically the same as any other guitar.

The nut width on a 620, 1.63"

The nut width on a LP, 1.69"

I refuse to believe anyone can actually feel .06" of difference

• Members

People are so full of s""t when they say the neck are narrow. They just keep parroting bull they've heard from other people. Necks on 12s feel narrow because of improper string spacing but the actual necks are basically the same as any other guitar.

I notice the difference between a nut that is 1 5/8ths and 1 11/16th. Pretty big difference. You would absolutely notice the .06".

• Members

Though they aren't necessarily for me, the 620s I've played have been cool guitars. To vastly oversimplify it, I think they feel like a traditional Ric in a small solidbody package. True, the necks are a little smaller and bridge positioning a little awkward, but neither prohibitively so; I mean, just consider the sheer amount of people that have made it work. If it's a good trade, I'd do it.

• Members

Yeah, the narrow neck thing is aimed at the 12's. I live the sound of that guitar, but find it impossible to play. To me the distance between the 2 strings of the same pitch feels almost identical to the distance to the first string of the next set. Can't play it cleanly to save my life.

I contrast, I have a cheapo Dean Boca 12 string with a nice wide neck that is very easy to play. Unfortunately, the fools put high output ceramic humbuckers in the thing, so the only good tone is both pickups with the volume on 5!

• Members

ric necks are not too narrow, the rest are just too wide.

rics are the same as some fenders at the nut. it is about 1/4" narrower at the 12th fret than fender. if you don't have a problem playing the 1st 5 fret positions on any other guitar, you won't have a problem with the neck on a ric.

• Members

I notice the difference between a nut that is 1 5/8ths and 1 11/16th. Pretty big difference. You would absolutely notice the .06".

+1 I can notice a difference between my 360 and any other guitar i own. but the neck is fatter to which kinda makes up for the difference... i have big hands, and theres something about a ric neck that just fits into my palm like a glove.

i love my ric

• Members

I call bull{censored}. My friend has a 360-12 AND a 360-6, and I can't stand playing either, because the strings are so damn close together. However, I'm sure given enough time and practice I COULD get used to them, but why bother when there are so many guitars that are (to me) much more comfortable. Of course, my caveat is that I am ONLY talking about the 360 models. I have heard a lot indicating that the 650 models have a much more hand-filling neck, and I'd love to check one of those out, but they're rare has hens' teeth!

• Members

I call bull{censored}. My friend has a 360-12 AND a 360-6, and I can't stand playing either, because the strings are so damn close together. However, I'm sure given enough time and practice I COULD get used to them, but why bother when there are so many guitars that are (to me) much more comfortable. Of course, my caveat is that I am ONLY talking about the 360 models. I have heard a lot indicating that the 650 models have a much more hand-filling neck, and I'd love to check one of those out, but they're rare has hens' teeth!

probably because my 1st guitar was a 360, i found i had to get used to other brand necks (ric necks are expensive). i have a wide varity of necks now (nothing too fat or flat), i play them all but my preference is still the ric. it's just faster than the rest.

• Members

probably because my 1st guitar was a 360, i found i had to get used to other brand necks (ric necks are expensive). i have a wide varity of necks now (nothing too fat or flat), i play them all but my preference is still the ric. it's just faster than the rest.

My friend's the same way -- those Rics are his only electrics, and he is only really comfortable with them!

• Members

Are you kidding me? .06" is 1.5 mm. That's a big deal at the the nut. I definitely feel that.

• Members

I have a 360/6. Before that I played LP width necks (LP, 335, Hamer, etc).

It is narrower and it took me some time to get used to it - maybe a week or two. Now I love it. Picking up a friend's Ric or playing it in a store won't be an accurate experience.

I think the narrower neck has made me a more precise player too. When I go back to my LP it feels kind of roomy and easy.

We're not talking about half an inch or anything, it's a nice player. For the record, I have relatively large hands.

• Members

Wow, looks like I opened up a can of worms with that one. But seriously, I can't thank you guys enough for the detailed responses. And Rick, I get sooo jealous when I see your fleet of Rickenbackers - they're just sooo :cool:. I hear people talk about Ric copies (a Godin something or other recently), but from the vids, they don't sound anything like a good Ric. Still, I'm pretty fussy about feel, so I'll probably wait until I can spend a little time with one, which may of course be never, the way they are backed up.:mad: No other online community is this generous, thanks again.

PS I actually had a friend with a 360/12 (among other premium guitars) years ago which he let me have a go at. I couldn't play it and I guess he couldn't either cause he finally sold it. So my only experience with a Ric wasn't a positive one (thought it was gorgeous though). That's why I'm cautious and more interested in the six string versions.

• Members

They're truly unlike any other guitar. The neck profile on mine (360) is like somebody took one of those kindergarten pencils, and cut it in half. Flat, flat flat on the fingerboard, and very round on the back. Like somebody took an old Martin, and reproduced it in 7/8 scale.

Sometimes I really dig the sound of mine enough to play it, other times I wonder why I'm beating myself over the head with it. Maybe I need a 620. Maybe I'm just not a Rick guy. They look cool as hell, though.

• Members

They're truly unlike any other guitar. The neck profile on mine (360) is like somebody took one of those kindergarten pencils, and cut it in half. Flat, flat flat on the fingerboard, and very round on the back. Like somebody took an old Martin, and reproduced it in 7/8 scale.

Sometimes I really dig the sound of mine enough to play it, other times I wonder why I'm beating myself over the head with it. Maybe I need a 620. Maybe I'm just not a Rick guy. They look cool as hell, though.

Wow, I appreciate your being brutally honest. So are you saying that a 620 is a little less narrow and easier to play?

• Members

Wow, I appreciate your being brutally honest. So are you saying that a 620 is a little less narrow and easier to play?

There is a limited edition model called a 660 that is basically a 620 with a wider neck. You might look for one of those.

Archived