Anybody know of a drop-in roller bridge replacement that works for an Epi Wildkat?

GAS Man

• Members

right, the first one.

Thanks, I'll order one. For some reason my WildKat has more trouble with going bigsby-out-of-tune than any of my other Bigsby equipped guitars. I've lubed it up, but without any success. I tried stringing over the top of the retention bar but then the strings not only jumped around (like out of their saddles) but the tone suffered markedly as well. That and a pickup upgrade and I think I'll someday be quite happy with this guitar and then will be able to sell it down the road for an even greater loss. :lol:.

I understand Jason Lollar has a fix for these, but even with his fix he's commented that they sound better without the metal covers.

I think the FlameKat was actually the way to go with this line. ;)

• Members

Thanks, I'll order one. For some reason my WildKat has more trouble with going bigsby-out-of-tune than any of my other Bigsby equipped guitars. I've lubed it up, but without any success. I tried stringing over the top of the retention bar but then the strings not only jumped around (like out of their saddles) but the tone suffered markedly as well. That and a pickup upgrade and I think I'll someday be quite happy with this guitar and then will be able to sell it down the road for an even greater loss.
:lol:

I understand Jason Lollar has a fix for these, but even with his fix he's commented that they sound better without the metal covers.

I think the FlameKat was actually the way to go with this line.
;)

Yeah, I had my flamekat for over a year before I could really play it. It needed a complete fret leveling and I kept reprioritizing my $$$ for other stuff. Finally got around to getting it done and I've played it out a few times and it has played and sounded great. I also replaced the stock bridge pickup with one of the SD minibuckers and that made a HUGE improvement to the tone.

• Members

Yeah, I had my flamekat for over a year before I could really play it. It needed a complete fret leveling and I kept reprioritizing my $$$ for other stuff. Finally got around to getting it done and I've played it out a few times and it has played and sounded great. I also replaced the stock bridge pickup with one of the SD minibuckers and that made a HUGE improvement to the tone.

It's interesting that you mention that as well, cuz today I have arriving a new Epi '66 Wilshire which has two Epi mini-hums. I've been wondering how I'm going to like their mini-hums. I'm generally not too fond of their pickups (except for the one in the groin of my Korina V -which compliments that guitar very nicely), but I was planning on giving them some time before I jump to the "must get replacements" mentality with the Wilshire. Sounds like if they haven't changed the recipe for their mini-hums I'll be (oops - wife just called - it's home now) there with you too.

So you like the Duncan mini-buckers? I've been wondering which way I'd go if I did upgrade. I keep thinking "Lollar" about upgrades but haven't actually bought any of his stuff yet (just based on rep and sound sampes I'm jonesing to get in on his stuff), but OTOH, his stuff is also so dang pricey. A set of mini-hums from him, and if I paid a tech to do the install, would cost significantly more than I paid for the guitar. So something like Ducans would probably be a more rationale compromise.

But we'll see tonight. Luckily with the wife dragging the box out of the cold, I'll be able to give it a once over tonight.

• Members

Both should fit. I know for a fact the Wilkinson is threaded for imports; I have one and prefer it to the standard GFS model.

It does look more "substantial" and spiffy. My main concern is that, whichever, that it be able to drop straight onto the existing posts, or at least not have to pull the pressure fit anchor portion.

Thanks! :wave:

• Members

I put a Wilkenson roller bridges on my Epi Wilshire, and it works great!

Thanks. I like the looks of that one and I'm leaning that way at this point. Just looks a bit more substantial, and that WildKat could use a bit more bright in its tone.

• Members

OMG, they sure are cheap there.

Yep. I've bought stuff from AZguitars a couple of times in the past with great results.

As long as you aren't one of those types that want to boycott Arizona , they are a perfectly good place to do business with.

Archived