Lost eBay auction blues...

songsforbears

• Members

Got outbid in the last five seconds...

gibson-les-paul-tribute-1952.jpg

Kind of bumming about it, but I suppose I really didn't need to drop $2,000 on it. Still, for a brand new, very limited guitar that normally sells for $3,300 and up, I feel like I missed out. I've played one before and it was definitely the nicest Les Paul I've ever played.

:cry:

• Members
Got outbid in the last five seconds...

gibson-les-paul-tribute-1952.jpg

Kind of bumming about it, but I suppose I really didn't need to drop $2,000 on it. Still, for a brand new, very limited guitar that normally sells for $3,300 and up, I feel like I missed out. I've played one before and it was definitely the nicest Les Paul I've ever played.

:cry:

Just keep looking. It's maddening to be outbid, but remember, the guy who sniped you ended up paying more for that guitar than you felt it was worth. There will be other, better deals.

• Members

That has happened to me more than once. The last time , I was sitting watching the monitor and the clock......10,9,8,7,6,5,4,..... Yahoo ! Go to pay for the item only to see that I have been outbid at the very last micro second.....I was in disbelief......You dirty rat !

• Members

I've heard that the bridge/tailpiece on those original LPs were something he later regretted...

He regretted it because Gibson screwed up and put it into production upside down, so the strings passed under the bridge instead of over it like the one in the OP. The Tribute reissue is the way Les intended. It's not as good a design as the one that replaced it, but it would've worked fine. Intonation with a straight bridge like that isn't a problem as long as it is located correctly.

One reason you see so many more nice original 52 Goldtops compared to the later models is that the bridge made them so difficult to play they mostly sat in their cases.

• Members

What year did Gibson make the Les Paul all gold including back, side , and back of neck ! Anybody know ?

"All Golds" were done occasionally from '52 'til '55 or so, more often in '52 and '53, and there have been several runs of RI's over the last two decades or so.

Archived