Is Eddie van Halen right about this?

lincoln40

• Members

I wasn't sure, it seemed that many cheaper guitars were made with Basswood so I just assumed...

Wikipedia says:

Ease of working and good acoustic properties also make it popular for electric guitar and bass bodies and wind instruments such as recorders. In the past, it was typically used (along with Agathis) for less-expensive models. However, due to its better resonance at mid and high frequency, and better sustain than alder, it is now more commonly in use with the "superstrat" type of guitar. It can also be used for the neck because of its excellent material integrity when bent and ability to produce consistent tone without any dead spots according to Parker Guitars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basswood

Which would seem to jibe with Vai and Petrucci having no problem with it. It's light, that may be part of the reason people tend to think it's not good wood.

• Members

it would help the wood to dry over time but could it also let the wood absorb moisture?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I know that you are advised to use humidi-cases and all of that, but I often think that a little more drying out can help with resonance. But you made a good point about the absorbing side as well. That's why it's not a good idea to have a completely unfinished neck. The absorbing part can f@#k it up and cause bowing.

• Members

Well, I'm sure leaving the cavities unpainted has some affect on tone, but I'm pretty sure if you snuck into his studio one night, grabbed the last guitar he recorded with and painted the cavities and put it back together, he wouldn't come in the next morning and say, 'What the {censored}! This guitar sounds like it had its cavities painted last night!'

:lol:

Lies, I just made bail for that very issue. However, they were more concerned with the hoard of Marshalls in my trunk...:idk:

Archived