Douglas Guitars... GAS Worthy?

Crisco

• Members

I hesitate to respond to questions like this mainly because I am obviously in the minority here. Anyways, I have never had the Douglas model you are looking at, but my experiences with the SXes, Douglases and Agiles that I have had tell me:

1. If you like chunky necks try the SX. I actually had the SX you are looking at, except back then it was called the GG1 and had a pointed horn. I LOVED that guitar, but after I bought a few more LP style guits it became redundant. This is the one I would choose, because the neck is chunky and MAHOGANY. I have Mahogany-necked and Maple-necked LP style guits, and for me if I'm gonna have a mahogany body, I like the tone better from a mahogany neck.

2. They quality on Douglases is generally better than SX, excluding the pups.

3. Quality on the Agiles is generally better than the Douglas (including the pups), but you can replace the tuners on an SX (worst part of SXes, but they work fine, you just have to turn them 20 times or so with a string winder to work out the areas where they bind) with a set from from GF, that are smoother (even lockers) and still come out cheaper than the Agile. If you go up to the Agile AL-3000 level you won't have to replace anything, IMO, but only you can decide if you want a serious player straight out of t

I'm a roll-your-own kind of guy, so while I have Agiles too, I play my SXes more (most are modded). You should also be aware that chunky necks do affect tone, IMO. The chunky neck SXes have a slight mid honk that I like too (I like chunky necks) but some don't. I have never bought a "bad" LP style guit from Rondo, and in every csiwyg=0

• Members

I hesitate to respond to questions like this mainly because I am obviously in the minority here. Anyways, I have never had the Douglas model you are looking at, but my experiences with the SXes, Douglases and Agiles that I have had tell me:

1. If you like chunky necks try the SX. I actually had the SX you are looking at, except back then it was called the GG1 and had a pointed horn. I LOVED that guitar, but after I bought a few more LP style guits it became redundant. This is the one I would choose, because the neck is chunky and MAHOGANY. I have Mahogany-necked and Maple-necked LP style guits, and for me if I'm gonna have a mahogany body, I like the tone better from a mahogany neck.

2. They quality on Douglases is generally better than SX, excluding the pups.

3. Quality on the Agiles is generally better than the Douglas (including the pups), but you can replace the tuners on an SX (worst part of SXes, but they work fine, you just have to turn them 20 times or so with a string winder to work out the areas where they bind) with a set from from GF, that are smoother (even lockers) and still come out cheaper than the Agile. If you go up to the Agile AL-3000 level you won't have to replace anything, IMO, but only you can decide if you want a serious player straight out of t

I'm a roll-your-own kind of guy, so while I have Agiles too, I play my SXes more (most are modded). You should also be aware that chunky necks do affect tone, IMO. The chunky neck SXes have a slight mid honk that I like too (I like chunky necks) but some don't. I have never bought a "bad" LP style guit from Rondo, and in every csiwyg=0

Thank u for the input it helps out alot!

• Members

If you go up to the Agile AL-3000 level you won't have to replace anything, IMO, but only you can decide if you want a serious player straight out of t

My dilemma is I would like to go with a Single Binding version. The AL-2900 which had single binding and upgraded pickups has been discontinued. The model that replaces it is triple bound. Do you have any insight into how the AL-2000 pickups are going to compare to the Burstbucker Pro's in a Gibson LP Faded?

I don't mind paying the extra $$ for the AL-3000+ series but will need to get myself past the looks of the triple binding.

• Members

My dilemma is I would like to go with a Single Binding version. The AL-2900 which had single binding and upgraded pickups has been discontinued. The model that replaces it is triple bound. Do you have any insight into how the AL-2000 pickups are going to compare to the Burstbucker Pro's in a Gibson LP Faded?

I don't mind paying the extra $$ for the AL-3000+ series but will need to get myself past the looks of the triple binding.

Buy that AL-2000 that I linked earlier, buy a set of BB Pro's, a case, and you still come out cheap. ;)

• Members

The AL-2000 comes with hot and rather muddy IMO ceramic pickups which I would consider replacing straight away. Same goes for the Douglas and SX versions though too, at least the ones I've owned which were all a few years ago. It's possible they've changed the stock pickups in any or all of them by now.

• Members

Instead of FR-Agile how about ESP or Ibanez

Because the OP did not ask about ESP or Ibanez you toolbag.

Why have you run with the idiotic FR-Agile thing? Have you ever even touched one of these guitars?Toss off Troll.

To the OP:

I have one of the older SX GG1 LPs (as well as many other SX models) and its a pickup testbed for me now. I like it, sounds very chambered but it is because if the plywood top. There is actually space between the mahogany back and the "bent" top. I don't look at this as a detracting feature, I knew I wasn't buying a Mahog/Maple Gibson and the "hollowness" is cool sounding. Neck is great.

I have a few Douglas guitars as well and agree that they are generally a little nicer than similar SX options usually int the binding/finish work dept. The Douglas semi-hollow I have came with Grovers for example and has a nice heavy duty Gibson style 3 way switch as opposed to the little box switches you'll find in SX guitars.

My Agiles (I have several) Are better on every level. The 2000 and 2500 series' ceramic pups are not bad IMO and I have replaced some and kept others. I haven't replaced any because they suck, just looking for different tones. I have described the ceramics as being like a super distortion with a little less output. They like to have some room between them and the strings though or they can sound muddy. I keep mine adjusted pretty low.

So to answer your question, I still GAS over Douglas guitars but usually only when there is not an Agile that fills the same need available. Currently I am gassing for a Douglas SpadPro. Damn.

• Members

To the OP:

I have one of the older SX GG1 LPs (as well as many other SX models) and its a pickup testbed for me now. I like it, sounds very chambered but it is because if the plywood top. There is actually space between the mahogany back and the "bent" top. I don't look at this as a detracting feature, I knew I wasn't buying a Mahog/Maple Gibson and the "hollowness" is cool sounding. Neck is great.

I have a few Douglas guitars as well and agree that they are generally a little nicer than similar SX options usually int the binding/finish work dept. The Douglas semi-hollow I have came with Grovers for example and has a nice heavy duty Gibson style 3 way switch as opposed to the little box switches you'll find in SX guitars.

My Agiles (I have several) Are better on every level. The 2000 and 2500 series' ceramic pups are not bad IMO and I have replaced some and kept others. I haven't replaced any because they suck, just looking for different tones. I have described the ceramics as being like a super distortion with a little less output. They like to have some room between them and the strings though or they can sound muddy. I keep mine adjusted pretty low.

So to answer your question, I still GAS over Douglas guitars but usually only when there is not an Agile that fills the same need available. Currently I am gassing for a Douglas SpadPro. Damn.

I've also found that the Douglas guitars usually have a little better fit/finish than the SX's. That being said, 2 of my 3 Douglas's needed a good bit of tweaking (truss rod, string height, intonation, fretwork, etc) to get them up to par. Both of them have since found their way into my regular rotation, however (the third one was a birthday gift to my nephew):

3793293579_2344cd63ab.jpg

2758720416_abc848fb43.jpg

• Members

i love this place

If you are going to quote me, lincoln40, at least quote me correctly.

About SX and Agile:

Quote:

Originally Posted by IBDBB

OP:

some people do expect $1k quality from them, that just aint gonna happen.

I said this about SX, not Agile.

• Members

Instead of FR-Agile how about ESP or Ibanez

The DOUGLAS guitars are built by Saein, the same company that makes a great deal of those Ibanez guitars already.

In a room with selections ranging from a vintage Gibson worth more than my car to a crappy Starfire I bought off ebay for $50, (with a dozen varying instruments in-between) I find lately that my $189 Douglas WRL590 is my go to guitar more often than not.

So show me the Ibanez or ESP option where you get a neck through body mahogany body with licensed floyd for under $200. And for the record, I've tried a few of the left handed models of both, and the licensed trem on the douglas/agile guitars is far better to me than the ESP floyd or Ibanez trem. (on the inexpensive models. I have ZERO experience with top shelf ESP and IBANEZ since neither makes a left handed model that I've ever had opportunity to play.)

The douglas pickups are usually a generic ceramic pickup. They're not horrible, but as a chronic modder I replaced them immediately with a set of PUPS from GFS. Figure another $80 invested right there, so that $200 guitar ends up close to 3. That said, I also swap pickups in more expensive and name brand models too (including the Gibson), so it might not be completely necessary for everyone.

Archived