What is your favorite PAF humbucker?

F-bomb

• Members

Nearest to a PAF - a Gibson 'Patent Number' I have in a Heritage Les Paul here. It's bright with a lot of bite, yet not shrill, and complex without being muddy - kind of like a Celestion blue in a pickup).

But I'd say that I prefer the tone of burstbuckers, although they're not very PAF-like (lack the sharp edge and the warm, sweet depth).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm more of a strat guy for sure but I played plenty of Gibsons when I lived in Houston and especially Dallas from 83 - 91. Those were much larger markets for higher end used gear and the prices weren't crazy yet... BUT... and for me, this is a big 'but'... I didn't spend hours and hours with them, getting to know how the interacted with a variety of amps the way I have with the guitars I've owned or my friends have owned. I tend not to talk out of my ass and I don't comment on things that I don't intimately know.

Having said that, when I compare the better of the generic pickups like the Duncan Antiquities, Seth Lovers, 57 Classics and Burstbucker 1 and 2s, they all have an added complexity that I simply don't see on pickups like the Duncan 59s, Duncan Alnico IIs, Custom 5, Dimarzio PAF Pros, PAF Joes and 36th Anniversary. My guess is, on a stage at gig levels, as long as you can dial in the type of tone you like and it interacts with your rig the way you want, all these pickups will get you the PAF vibe, but alone in a room, hanging on every detail, there's just no way the Duncan 59s or the PAF Pro is on par with the Seth Lovers or 57 Classics. If you can't hear that added complexity... you either haven't experienced it or you simply can't hear it. That probably makes me sound like an elitist prick but as those that know me will assure you is extremely far from the truth, but there is an added layer of complexity to those 57, BBs, Lovers...

:idk:

Archived