Parts-tele improvement thread. Part ONE: the parts.

Jkater

• Members

Last summer, I bought this parts-tele for $350 CAN. Good neck (mighty mite), good tuners (gotoh), good bridge (am. std tele) and an unfinished self made ash body that had gathered quite a bit of dirt and body oil and what not but looked like it could be nice looking.

Some parts were not great (pups) or could be nicer (switch tip, input jack, pick-guard, etc.) and most importantly, that body needed finishing.

IMG_8188.jpg

so I got the parts and the tools to get it done:

Bg tele pups set rockwind A3

telebgback.jpg

telebgfront.jpg

Tele switch tip and input jack thingie to replace the un-telesque strat-like tip and cheap metal jack plate.

switchtipandjackinput.jpg

The black one-ply pick-guard was kind of alright but I like tortoise p/g and didn't have a guitar with one so I got this:

pgtele2.jpg

Body needed MAJOR sanding and i got the different grades to get it done nicely:

Sandpapergrades.jpg

After asking you guys for a good finish, I decided to go with tru-oil. BIG thanks to Sean (Ratae Coritanorum) who helped me with this:

tru-oil.jpg

I'll give it ten coats of tru-oil with smoothing with 0000 steelwool in between coats:

0000.jpg

Next thread: Part two: the finishing of the body. :wave:

• Members

Looks like you're on your way.

Unless the body is sanded super, duper VERY smooth, it was suggested to me to use fine grit sandpaper on the Tru Oil on just the first layer. It was mentioned that on the first layer, the oil will be the thickest and most likely to grab little pieces of the steel wool off. I was told to use 600 or 800 grit paper after the first application of Tru Oil, then steel wool after each additional layer.

Either way, can't wait to see the results.

Are you going to apply anything to make the grain pop before the Tru Oil? This is pretty apples and oranges, but here is a mahogany guitar I did in just Tru Oil and here is an ash guitar with a coat of oil based walnut stain, then three coats of clear nitro. I think they both look great, but the ash with the stain definitely pops more.

DSC_4153a1.jpg

DSC_3742a1.jpg

• Members

Hi cratz. Nice job on yours.:thu:

I'm afraid it is too late for me to benefit from your advice regarding the first coat. I already started three days ago. I did a lot of sanding with graduated sand paper prior to it so I hope it will bring something to be happy about (and a little proud of).

Time to start the second thread in this "series" : Part two

Archived