Mike Star (former Alice In Chains bassist) gone at 44

Phait

• Members

*EDIT* Oops forgot the extra "r" in Starr...

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1659474/alice-in-chains-mike-starr-dead.jhtml

Former Alice in Chains bassist Mike Starr was found dead Tuesday afternoon (March 8).

TMZ reports that police found Starr's body in a Salt Lake City, Utah, house at 1:42 p.m. He was 44 years old.

A co-founding member of the pioneering Seattle grunge band, Starr appeared on VH1's "Celebrity Rehab" in 2009. He was arrested last month for felony possession of a controlled substance. Salt Lake City police said he had several painkillers on him when he was arrested. Alice in Chains have written heart-wrenching and evocative songs about drug addiction.

...more at link.

It's so weird cause a few days ago I was watching videos about Alice In Chains, and been listening to them a lot lately... and I watched an evocative video with him on Celeb Rehab talking about Layne's death.

• Members

In my teens and 20s, when I was playing bass in various bands, jamming along to those first two Alice in Chains albums was a major part of my practice routine. I remember when he was replaced by Mike Inez, and even in those "pre-Internet" days, it was pretty well established that his drug addiction was so severe as to warrant his firing, but I hoped that he'd surface in another band eventually.

RIP

Archived