rough fret, need advice

JohnnyRaincheck

• Members

so I dinged the 15th fret, rather than replace it I thought I'd try to smooth it out myself:facepalm:

So now it's rough and scratchy. What do you guys recommend I use to smooth it out again? If I use a file, what would I use after that to make it completely smooth again?

and here's another :facepalm: for my stupidity

• Members

if its really dinged.. it will have to be replaced.. i had to do that to my electra after a gig.. set the guitar face first against the amp a bit hard..

you could try steel wool.. it may make the dint playable.. but.. for bends and such.. its a rough deal..

• Members

Pesonally, I'd go to Walgreens (or CVS, or Walmart, or the grocery store or..) and get myself a fingernail buffing pad. The foam pad kind with several different colors of grit on them.. That finest grit will make that fret shine in just a few passes, and it conforms to the shape of the fret. If you're careful, you don't even have to mask the fretboard. All for like 2 bucks.

2008091200285404.jpg

• Members

Pesonally, I'd go to Walgreens (or CVS, or Walmart, or the grocery store or..) and get myself a fingernail buffing pad. The foam pad kind with several different colors of grit on them.. That finest grit will make that fret shine in just a few passes, and it conforms to the shape of the fret. If you're careful, you don't even have to mask the fretboard. All for like 2 bucks.

2008091200285404.jpg

I think I like the 2 bucks route, it's one of my less expensive guitars and I don't want to dump a lot of money into it. Thanks guys

• Members

My luthier here say he would replace 3 frets I had dings in for 100 bucks. Thats definitely worth the money if you can go that route, to save that much time.

That's insanely expensive to install 3 frets. :eek:

I could do that have them leveled and crowned in under an hour.

• Members

I think I like the 2 bucks route, it's one of my less expensive guitars and I don't want to dump a lot of money into it. Thanks guys

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Polishing_and_abrasives/3M_Flexible_Polishing_Papers.html

These are also fantastic. I use the blue and the pink when I change strings to polish the frets. It's super easy and they shine like mirrors after just a few minutes. A great thing to have in the tool box for sure.

The ones raven posted are cool too for spot work. I may have to pick up a couple of those. :thu:

• Members

Yeah, I wouldn't want to do a ton of work with these, but for quick jobs they're great. I have used them on an entire fretboard to quickly knock off tarnish though. Was quick and painless. After doing one or two frets, you can feel how much pressure it takes to avoid hitting the fretboard. Be careful at first, cuz too much will deform the foam right over the fret.

hmm, speaking of removing tarnish.. I wonder if you could bring the life back to rusty strings with these?

• Members
That's insanely expensive to install 3 frets.
:eek:

I could do that have them leveled and crowned in under an hour.

100/hour with materials included, leveled crowned finished etc. Not bad IMO. When he put mine on his PLEK he pulled the first fret and sanded down the fretboard and replaced it for free.

• Members

100/hour with materials included, leveled crowned finished etc. Not bad IMO. When he put mine on his PLEK he pulled the first fret and sanded down the fretboard and replaced it for free.

If you are happy with the work it was worth it. :thu:

I know some techs charge less, but there are alot of hacks out there too. It's worth paying a little if you know you are getting a comparable level of service.

• Members

2008091200285404.jpg

Yeah - these work great for all kinds of guitar touch ups, dings included. Obviously you won't be able to fill in the ding but these will deburr it nicely. Hopefully the ding isn't right underneath the string and not so deep to snag a bend.

Archived