NGD: Fender Goldtop HH Telecaster!

lewzer

• Members

Made a deal with rileykill a while back, and he was nice enough to wait for me to thaw out after a bad ice storm so I could trade with him. So, lots of respect for him to do that.

I traded my Gibson Faded V for this:

l_89706d2ef8904531a559fd10a1cd8dcd.jpg

Fender Goldtop HH Telecaster

I guess one would argue that it's really only a proper "Tele" by name. This one has a Mahogany body and neck with a rosewood fretboard. It's also got 2 Dimarzio pickups that were apparently made for this guitar. I don't have much info on it, but rileykill said it was a Musicians Friend special, so theoretically there may not be a whole lot of these out there.

With that said, I'm really loving this guitar so far. Easily the best MIK guitar I've ever played, and I've owned 2 Agile's. The mahogany body is thinner than most telecaster and it's weight is just perfect. Not heavy, like I was afraid of, but not too light either. I love the neck too. It's similar to other tele's I've played, but has a really flat radius and jumbo frets.

In terms of sound, it's closer to my Explorer than anything else. It just has that huge, fat rock/metal sound that is right up my alley. I still want a proper telecaster, with alder/maple body and neck with the tele bridge. However, this guitar my rocket it's way up to #1. It's easy to play for long periods and sounds amazing. I love my explorer, but it's around 23 years old and has a fretboard crack so I may scale down it's usage a bit. I'm still honeymoon'n with the Tele, but I hope I've found a worthy replacement if need be. And now, a shot from behind:

l_3100084e2c6b43e88c9674d91aaf3ab5.jpg

• Members

They were a MF special run. I got one a few years ago when they were selling them for $349 with case. Decent guitar for the price.

Don't remember what pickups came in these, for some reason I'm thinking they were either Tone Zone/PAF Pro, or they were some unknown 'special' Dimarzios...

• Members

They were a MF special run. I got one a few years ago when they were selling them for $349 with case. Decent guitar for the price.

Don't remember what pickups came in these, for some reason I'm thinking they were either Tone Zone/PAF Pro, or they were some unknown 'special' Dimarzios...

$349 with case!!!! wat!?!

Oh well. I still feel like a did good on the deal. It's really a phenomenal guitar. I may try to add some chrome pickup covers, but I'm not sure how they look. I was never big on white humbuckers. rileykill described the pickups as a Tone Zone bridge/Air Norton neck. They have a coil tap pot, but the tapped sound doesn't blow me away. I could still find some use for it though.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a case?

• Members

$349 with case!!!! wat!?!

Oh well. I still feel like a did good on the deal. It's really a phenomenal guitar. I may try to add some chrome pickup covers, but I'm not sure how they look. I was never big on white humbuckers. rileykill described the pickups as a Tone Zone bridge/Air Norton neck. They have a coil tap pot, but the tapped sound doesn't blow me away. I could still find some use for it though.

They were $399.99 regular price, then they went down to $349.99, then they added a case to that deal for a while, then they went down to $299.99 before they were gone.

• Members

They were $399.99 regular price, then they went down to $349.99, then they added a case to that deal for a while, then they went down to $299.99 before they were gone.

Interesting. For $399.99 these were a total steal. Esp. considering the newer FMT HH Telecaster's that are around $650 with similar specs. What year(s) were these available?

• Members

Interesting. For $399.99 these were a total steal. Esp. considering the newer FMT HH Telecaster's that are around $650 with similar specs. What year(s) were these available?

This was in 2005, not sure how long they were available before then. There were a few different Korean HH Teles going for similar prices back then. I picked up a couple Blackout Teles (at the time the Blackouts were HH teles with Dimarzios pretty much like yours in black or blue finish) for $249 with gigbag. Don't remember regular prices on the Blackouts, but there were a decent deal for $249.

• Members

Congrats. I played one of these a few years back. Our local mom-n-pop, sadly now closed, had great connections and had one of these in stock brand new. I should have bought it. I recall the pickups being an Air Norton/Tonezone combo as well. They sounded great in either humbucking or split modes. You do know you can pull up the Tone knob to split the pickups, don't you?

Score!

• Members

This was in 2005, not sure how long they were available before then. There were a few different Korean HH Teles going for similar prices back then. I picked up a couple Blackout Teles (at the time the Blackouts were HH teles with Dimarzios pretty much like yours in black or blue finish) for $249 with gigbag. Don't remember regular prices on the Blackouts, but there were a decent deal for $249.

Really? I can't believe I missed it. Weird. I'm going to keep an eye out for some of the other ones. Now, cases.

Anyone have experience with any of these?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/099-6101-506/ (looks pretty durable but bulky)

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-StratTele-Hardshell-Case?sku=541530 (lots of options, kind of pricey)

Ebay Case

(still pricey, but I love the look and shape)

• Members

I bought one of those new back when they were available, I got mine in black. They are 2005, like people said. The full model name is 2005 Fender Special Limited Edition Custom Telecaster HH, quite a mouthful. Things that haven't been mentioned yet is that the fretboard radius is 15.75 inches. The pickups are Air Norton in the neck and Tone Zone in the bridge, both supposedly custom wound for a lighter and brighter sound.

A lot of people wouldn't believe mine was a Korean guitar. It is a great guitar, but I'm thinking of changing the pickups in mine, they aren't doing it for me anymore.

• Members

I have one of those in see through red. It was $499 from MF and did not come with a case at the time (Feb 2005). Modified versions of the Dimarzio Tone Zone and Air Norton pickups like other folks said. Other stuff - it came with a graphite nut, and oversized strap buttons - I used mine for gigs for a couple years with the stock buttons and never had a problem. I generally install straplocks for my guitars. I might have missed someone saying it earlier, but you can tap the pickups, and it is single-bound and has a carved top. It has oversized abalone inlays. The set neck is cool, and the heel in particular is awesome!

I like the guitar a lot. But, my tastes have changed a bit, so I play it a lot less now. Mine sounds very dark. Installing a bone nut seemed to help, but I guess I just like more traditional teles better. Mine is unbelievably light, and the neck is very thin. I think I like a little more heft in both regards.

Anyway, the quality is great, and if it fits what you're looking for in a guitar I would heartily recommend it to anyone. It is not really a telecaster, though. Doesn't feel like one, doesn't sound like one. I feel like it almost has more in common with a Gibson SG. I pretty much wish I went for the Shoreline Gold one like above - that sure looks nice. The see-through red shows the wood grain obviously, and on mine the pieces of wood are not matched up particularly well - no biggie, but it is a little odd looking.

Anyway, nice pick up. You'll have a lot of fun with it!

• Members

I've got one exactly like yours, and I bought a Fender hardshell case for it... the brown tolex one with the gold interior, and it's a perfect match. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?base_pid=541530&cpd=0OEY&doc_id=99371&index=5

I love that guitar... excellent tone, great player, dazzling looks. :thu:

Archived