Partscaster Complete (Tele Hawk Content)

BrewBuck72

• Members

This is my first attempt at finishing and assembling a guitar. The finish process seemed like it took forever and it is still not close to a factory finish but I like the results. I'm still dialing in the setup but so far ... :rawk:

The body is an Ash double cut tele hawk from Tomahawk Custom Guitars (you should check them out, Brian is great to work with). The neck is an allparts SMO strat neck (needs some fretwork but overall a very comfortable neck). The pickups are GFS bigmouth which I think I am going to like (although the jury is still out). Everything else is miscellaneous parts from GFS and Guitar Parts Resource.

On to the pictures...

Here is the naked body...

RawBody2.jpg

Here it is with a couple of coats of aniline dye...

Body_Front_Dyed.jpg

And here is the final product (finished with blue dyed grain filler and blue/green tinted polyurathane)...

TelehawkComplete5.jpg

TelehawkComplete6.jpg

TelehawkComplete8.jpg

• Members

That looks hella cool!! :cool:

I'm really curious how your finish will behave long term. I did a guitar in analine dye and the damn thing faded. I never could figure out if it was the nature of the dye or the water-based Crystalac clear coat.

Mine started out looking like a gorgeous aquamarine swimming pool and in the matter of a couple years it turned to more of a faded blue jeans color. :( Because you used a tinted coat over the green AND poly coat at that, I expect you'll have better lasting (hopefully forever) results. Nice job. :thu:

• Members

Thanks for all the kind words.

cratz2 - I probably read 100 web sites with 100 different opinions on how to use the dye and finish the guitar. In the end, I did the following

1. Sand with 220 grit, wet to raise the grain, sand again, raise grain again, sand a third time.

2. Mixed up the green Aniline dye (waterbased) with some water and applied two coats (results in picture 1)

3. Mixed up the blue Analine dye with some timbermate grain filler and water and applied 3 coats of grain filler, sanding back with 220 grit between coats

4. Mixed up a blue/green dye combination and added it to some minwax polycrylic (again water based) in a 90/10 polycrylic/dye ratio

5. Applied 12 thin coats of the dyed polycrylic with a foam brush.

6. Got a spray can of polycrylic and used the whole thing in several light coats as the final clear coat.

After everything was dry, I started sanding with 800 grit then onto micro mesh up to 2800 grit. Finally, some nu-finish scratch remover and then a guitar wax. I'm sure there are probably better ways of doing it but this seemed to work for me. Axegrinder, I will keep an eye on the finish and report back if I see some fading.

• Members

Looks great! The double cut and the Tele Hawk are nice designs. Did you buy direct from Tomahawk or through his ebay site?

I bought it directly from Brian at Tomahawk and was very happy with the transaction. Good price, good communication, quick turnaround, and most importantly, a nice guitar body to work with.

Archived