Buying gift for a friend... Strings?

Thorhead

• Members

Ok I am mainly a keys player (though sometimes also pick a guitar).

Anyway I want to buy some guitar related gift to my friend, who is professional guitarist. I was thinking STRINGS would make for a better gift than a lame pick that won't kill my valet.

He uses Musicman guitar (mostly) and basically plays as a one man band in bars, mainly light rock/poppish classics, with not too much drive. I have no idea what if he prefers thick or thin strings.

Anyway perhaps you can help me get the best strings possible lol. I Also accept better gift ideas...

• Members

You need to know what gauge he uses. 9's or 10's are the most common. (9's is shorthand for 0.009 - 0.042, 10's is shorthand for 0.010 - 0.046).

The just get a popular brand, like D'Addario, Ernie Ball, GHS.

If I didn't know, I'd buy some 9's and save the receipt.

• Members
BUUUUMPPPPP

Which stringssss.

No way to tell without more info. Brand, size and type are all too variable to say which is 'best' since personal preference weighs a lot on all of these.

You'd be better off to go with a gift card. If that's too impersonal, buy a single .009 string also and attach it to the card. Everybody can use a backup 9.
:)

• Members

Why not a gift card to Sam Ash or Guitar Center?

Cause I live in europe. No gift cards here and I don't even know where he shops usually =/.

No way to tell without more info. Brand, size and type are all too variable to say which is 'best' since personal preference weighs a lot on all of these.

Well he plays rock, I actually don't care that much if the brand is right as long as it is quality.

• Members

9-46 is a sort of hybrid set, but a pretty common set. Most 9s are 9-42s.

The Titaniums seem like they'd be pretty expensive. I like Ernie Ball standards. 10-46. We each have our preferences. Some like to think that one brand lasts 50 times as long as another brand. Some like to think that one brand of nickle wounds are 50 times as bright as another brand. I used GFS for a couple years and got by just fine. I used D'Addarios for a few years and got by just fine. And I've used Ernie Balls for the last 10 years and got by just fine. I prefer Ernie Balls, but if D'Addarios are on sale, I buy them. They don't make me any better or worse of a guitarist and anyone that feels otherwise is experiencing a placebo effect.

:lol:

Get him three sets of Ernie Ball 9-46s and he'll be glad you bought him something. :thu:

• Members

9-46 is a sort of hybrid set, but a pretty common set. Most 9s are 9-42s.

The Titaniums seem like they'd be pretty expensive. I like Ernie Ball standards. 10-46. We each have our preferences. Some like to think that one brand lasts 50 times as long as another brand. Some like to think that one brand of nickle wounds are 50 times as bright as another brand. I used GFS for a couple years and got by just fine. I used D'Addarios for a few years and got by just fine. And I've used Ernie Balls for the last 10 years and got by just fine. I prefer Ernie Balls, but if D'Addarios are on sale, I buy them. They don't make me any better or worse of a guitarist and anyone that feels otherwise is experiencing a placebo effect.

:lol:

Get him three sets of Ernie Ball 9-46s and he'll be glad you bought him something.
:thu:

But I am talking more about the type than the brand. Nickel coated, normal etc. etc.

Do you think those semi titanium or whatever strings would feel good and have good tone? (in the link above?)

• Members

Cause
I live in europe. No gift cards here
and I don't even know where he shops usually =/.

Well he plays rock, I actually don't care that much if the brand is right as long as it is quality.

Am I the only one that think's it's weird that they don't have girft cards in Europe? Do you mean for GC and Sam Ash or at all...

Also, strings are a BAD idea.

Man, the wrong strings are useless.

Get him something else. Tuner, strap, maybe a cable or something... I dunno, just not strings.

• Members

Its totally weird, and frankly unacceptable. I would move to America just for that reason alone.

I really dont think a strap is a good gift either. Straps are very personal too. Would you want someone buying a belt for you? I wouldnt.

Am I the only one that think's it's weird that they don't have girft cards in Europe?

Also, strings are a BAD idea.

Man, the wrong strings are useless.

Get him something else. Tuner, strap, maybe a cable or something... I dunno, just not strings.

Archived