Hardware recall plugins

• Members

Just thought I'd give a heads up about some great (and cheap) plugins that are invaluable to anyone who uses outboard gear or an analog mixer with their DAW.

These VST plugins give you an onscreen representation of your hardware, so you can document the settings along with your session:

http://jof.org.uk/shop/recall-plugins.html

Pretty cool! This guy developed these as a result of a REAPER user community request, and he takes requests if your hardware isn't available yet. :)

• Members

How does it work? Do you click on the knob position and it puts the knob there for reference?

Yup.

Of course it's one more piece of session data to lose when your disk that you never got around to backing up crashes.

LOL... my sessions get backed up immediately, so I'm not too worried about it. I've got worse problems than losing my hardware settings if an un-backed-up disk crashes, anyway!

• Members

Yep, exactly. His first plug was a channel strip for my A&H board, and it's been darned useful. There's also one for the RNC, which I use a lot, so I grabbed that one too.

Maybe this needs to go in the "favorite boring but useful accessories" thread. :D

• Members

Looks cool.

Right now, I write my general settings down in with the session.

But I think the real solution is to have your hardware settings the same for every single mix no matter what.

I'll end with a :D just in case anyone thinks I'm actually serious...

• Members

What a great idea! It'd be cool if you could create your own add-ins by importing JPG files of your boxes, and outline the knobs (so the program knows what to rotate when you mouse around in there).

• Members

You know you'd think the DAW makers would have already considered this. I've been known to set up "lyrics" in a DAW that I use to write notes in.

But for some reason, DAW makers in general seem to be a wee bit insensitive to the need for track and gear documentation for sessions. Some are better than others I hear - my DAW of choice - Sonar - lags in this area methinks.

nat whilk ii

Archived