I hate Fender.

the fretter

• Members
My Mustang blew a fuse. After changing the fuse, it still blew. So it was sent off for Fender to be fixed, and according to Fender it's fine. When it was sent back, I played it (with the master on about 5) and yes, it was okay. I turned the master up to 8. Blew instantly. One week of waiting for fixing, now it will take another {censored}ty week with a crappy borrowed amp worth

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Unfortunately this is true much of the time. The cheaper something is the more vulnerable it is to crapping out.

If you bought from Guitar Center or Musicians Friend you would have 30/45 days to return. MF will pay for the return if it is defective and send you a new one or give you your money back.

With cheap stuff (especially amps) I would give them a good workout everyday until the return period is over. I'm also hesitant to replace anything that craps out on me under the warranty. Shouldn't really happen. Exceptions though. I loved my 50s Fender RW and got is really cheap at MF. The selector switch stopped working and it fretted out at the 12, 13, 14 frets. I took it to a local warranty and he fixed everything once Fender approved the warranty. Great guitar now.

Why "unfortunately''? You usually get what you pay for. I've never had any problem gigging my cyber twin, it's a great amp. I wouldn't record on it, but it's still well built, sounds great, and is {censored}ing solid as a tank. Why on earth should fender make a $100 amp as good as a $1200 amp? seems a little stupid.

• Members

Its a fad just like so many other stuff you see on here. Moneys tight and a low budget amp is pretty attractive to a lot of people.But I think its a diservice when fender pushes the larger mustangs as a gigging amp. I might be wrong but lets hear about this a year later when someone can say they have gigged it for that long.

• Members

I was considering gigging with a III or IV.

I take it you wouldn't use a Mustang live?

There are some people that don't gig with anything that doesn't have tubes.

They practically have heart attacks when I tell them I used to gig with a PODxt Live with a Samson DI box straight into the PA.

You're going to have a few haters that will tell you that whatever you want to buy is crap. Don't believe them because statistically almost all major brands have just about the same defect rate, except for Behringer. When I worked for a Behringer dealer, I statistically took returns on their products more than any other brand I sold.

• Members

You're going to have a few haters that will tell you that whatever you want to buy is crap. Don't believe them because statistically almost all major brands have just about the same defect rate, except for Behringer. When I worked for a Behringer dealer, I statistically took returns on their products more than any other brand I sold.

This isn't morbid curiosity or schadenfreude (although it will sound like it is) but do you have a separate thread dedicated to Behringer horror stories? If not, you should make one. I only ask because I think it's educational to learn about bad amps as well as good. I think that'd be really interesting.

• Members

Bummer about your amp man... I tend to not play terribly loud, but I took my Mustang II over to Doc Morbius's place and played it cranked about 80% up (with a Weber Blue Dog) and never had any issues.

On the other hand, the day I got my Fender Super Sonic, it blew a fuse after about 3 minutes of playing it. Replaced the fuse and never had another issue.

My buddy has a 5150 that he's had since about 6 months after they came out and he went through about 5 fuses, sent it back, got a new one/repaired one and has never had an issue since.

It's a bummer to have to have your $100 amp repaired. Imagine if it's your $1,200 amp.

• Members

My only concern with Mustang amps is reliability - as in will it be able to stand up to regular small to medium venues gigs over a period of years.

I'm happy enough with what it sounds like. More than happy really. Some of the amp models have to be heard to be believed.

If you're looking for a reliable amp to gig with, find something that was designed to meet the needs of a gigging guitarist rather than something that was value-engineered specifically to meet a price point.

• Members

Originally Posted by Musicscotty

My only concern with Mustang amps is reliability - as in will it be able to stand up to regular small to medium venues gigs over a period of years. I'm happy enough with what it sounds like. More than happy really. Some of the amp models have to be heard to be believed.

If you're looking for a reliable amp to gig with, find something that was designed to meet the needs of a gigging guitarist rather than something that was value-engineered specifically to meet a price point.

Decent advice. I was asking about the Mustang III nad IV as they appear to be the next generation of Mustangs that are being marketed to be someting that ... meets the needs of the gigging guitarist (as you put it).

With outputs of 100w and 150w respectively these are not being aimed at the bedroom player market/practice amp sector of the market.

Are they value engineered any less than almost every other mainstream amp on the market?

Possibly not when you stop to think about it. Amp makers always have a pricing structure versus cost of manufacturing/parts to contend with.

Getting back to the amps for gigging with, it wouldn't matter if I had an immortal solid state Peavey amp or a Mustang IV - I would look after it.

The Mustang III looked sturdy enough from a structural point of view, which leaves the internal components/curcuitry as the only likely weak spot for these.

Fender have a wealth of experience with solid state DSP style components, so why would the Mustang series be any different to previous solid state Fender amps that they market for live use?

• Members

Getting back to the amps for gigging with, it wouldn't matter if I had an immortal solid state Peavey amp or a Mustang IV - I would look after it.

There is no such thing as looking after an amp if you play out more than 10 or 15 times a month. You try to do your best but the {censored} just gets abused. I usually get maybe a year before I have to have them gone completely thru. Last year I went thru 3 combos and one head.

• Members

There is no such thing as looking after an amp if you play out more than 10 or 15 times a month. You try to do your best but the {censored} just gets abused. I usually get maybe a year before I have to have them gone completely thru. Last year I went thru 3 combos and one head.

I'd probably be looking at a maximum of 8 nights out playing per month, so yeah I can look after any gear.

I used a Peavey Classic 50 212 solid for a couple of years, and it was pretty much unphased by it all.

This is all basically a mute point until sufficient time has passed for the reliability factor to be examined.

The amp (Mustang III) sounded fine and fit for live work. Whether it's got the stamina to last for years is the issue.

• Members

Damn! I think combos tend to take a little more abuse with vibrations from the speaker affecting the electronics, lots of heat in small spaces that can't always be vented properly. Do you use road cases? I highly recommend it if not.

• Members

I played with a guy who had one of those $300 100watt SS Marshall heads that came out in the late 1990s, that thing sounded good but it crapped out 3 times! He had it replaced by GC every time but then ended up just returning it.

And I know a guy that had a JCM800 and an AVT something something 1x12... he preferred the AVT to the 800 and he's gigged it off and on for about 16 years or so. I replaced the speaker for him, but the stock one wasn't dead. No issues ever.

:idk:

• Members

Other than all the genius {censored} I already said ( ;) ), this is the best advice in the thread.

Not pointing you to anyone's favorite piece of gear, but if you believe any laws of economics (or laws penned by Murphy for that matter), a $100 latest, greatest, high tech amp simply doesn't have nearly the chance of lasting 30 or 40 years that something like a Silverface Deluxe Reverb or a JTM45 will... Look in the amps. It's just common sense.

• Members

The other thing about the Mustang I and II amps is that you also get Ableton lite and Amplitube lite or something like that. For $100 bucks, if you want to start experimenting with computer recording and amp modeling, you aren't going to find anything much less expensive than that (are you ?).

• Members

Almost guaranteed to turn into a {censored}fest. There are some pretty serious fanbois of the Bugera products and some equally serious people who have had really bad experiences with Behringer products in general, and others that just don't approve of their business practices.

It's really that bad? Well I didn't intend to incite violent mob mentality, I was just curious. Mea culpa.

• Members
It's really that bad? Well I didn't intend to incite violent mob mentality, I was just curious. Mea culpa.

It's even worse over in the live sound forum. The mod there has just condensed all of the Behringer argument threads into one mega-thread. Folks around here are passionate about their gear. :lol:

Archived