Technical question about Auto Tune

veracohr

• Members

Does Auto Tune alter frequency content as an artifact of pitch shifting? I was just listening to a (really bad) pop song with Auto Tuned vocals and noticed that every once in a while a note would come out that was brighter, noticeably more harmonic content. Made me think that maybe those notes didn't need to be corrected, but the ones that did were noticeably darker.

• Members

That's a good tip-off, yes. It's also lazy engineering; it's quite possible to go in and fix the formant and frequency content of a single note as needed. But things also happen during mastering that make pitch-adjusted tones pop out. Either way, you shouldn't be hearing it.

• Members

Either way, you shouldn't be hearing it

it may be intentional. i hear a lot of goopy stuff on katy perry songs that i am sure she could pull off on her own but i think they wanted a processed sound in certain spots.

i'm pretty sure katy B's stuff is corrected as well but i cant really hear any affect of tuning on the song i am familiar with, lights on but there is one note that sticks out real bad that sounds like it was not a major third to start with but was corrected to be, i'm not sure though.

my point is that often at this point in time the correction is a flavor. i just find it appalling that i hear spit on the 2010 fear factory album, i suspect in the uber fast kick quantize. there is some tearing there, and some spit at the tails.

• Moderators

That's a good tip-off, yes. It's also lazy engineering; it's quite possible to go in and fix the formant and frequency content of a single note as needed. But things also happen during mastering that make pitch-adjusted tones pop out. Either way, you shouldn't be hearing it.

I tell what's interesting to me regrading pitch correction. You can really hear it when the upper harmonics are attenuated. Meaning... when you're hearing the radio in the other room. It is incredible how apparent it is. I mean I hear it, on something like Hey Soul Sister, but once I leave the room, which I tend to do when that tune comes on, holy smoke... AT overkill!!!!

Archived