New Build! The Moose Knuckle

newbuilder

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

...and done. Far from it...but hopefully not too long this time:rolleyes:

How abot now! ... we there yet ... we there yet ... we there yet ... we there yet ... we there yet ... :D

Looks to be a cool build, looking forward to seeing it progress!

• Members

2" is quite thick.

I think I remember Mind Riot saying that he had to resand/replane the bodies of his 7 stringer and other guitar after having made them too thick - he couldn't see the fret board because his neck wasn't angled.

The carving that will be done is so extreme, on the entire top except where the pups are mounted, and will come down more than a quarter of an inch and I plan on shaping the hell out of the back with a belly contour (a real one, for real bellies). I did have the thought that this was a hella chunk of wood, but that's what I wanted for this one...if it is too much I will know better next time, but it looks like it will work perfect.

When you said the "can't see the fret board", do you mean angle the neck to look up at you a bit?

• Members

How abot now! ... we there yet ... we there yet ... we there yet ... we there yet ... we there yet ...
:D

Looks to be a cool build, looking forward to seeing it progress!

Thank you! If I can make an instrument that looks half as good as your laps, I consider it a huge success.

How did you multi quote? It won't work for me?

• Members

The carving that will be done is so extreme, on the entire top except where the pups are mounted, and will come down more than a quarter of an inch and I plan on shaping the hell out of the back with a belly contour (a real one, for real bellies). I did have the thought that this was a hella chunk of wood, but that's what I wanted for this one...if it is too much I will know better next time, but it looks like it will work perfect.

When you said the "can't see the fret board", do you mean angle the neck to look up at you a bit?

Do you think you"ll have to taper the body under the neck heel for upper fret ease of access?

• Members

No, when I said an angle, I meant like Gibson Les Paul neck angle/pitch (is it 13 degree?).

Mind Riot was saying he couldn't see the fret board (and it's fret markers) because the body thickness just pushed it out of his sight.

By the sound of it, it won't be a problem with your build though. :thu:

• Members

I do plan on tapering a bit...and the angle thing will have to be addressed hopefully in really carving down the body, I need the body wood to be the exact same as the pitch of the neck to do my pickup thing from behind the wood.

I have thought of something on the upper horn, but am not sure that I will do anything on this one. I would love to do a piezo bridge with sliders up there, like Godin:thu:. I am going to do a two pup three knob set up with 2 rail 90s, a volume, tone, and blend.

-----------------

Did some carving yesterday and think I almost have the shape I want. Almost the entire top will come down 1/4 inch or more so, this will change. But I think I am starting to see the shape I want. I used a router and some rasps and sanders and sand paper to rough in the shape, I dig it.

I am going to cut the neck shape and route the pocket next and then really start carving the top and routing the back for pups and trem and such. I am bummed, it looks like I am loosing most of my blond wood:(

086-1.jpg

087-1.jpg

• Members

Nice. I like the shape/design. Can't wait until it's done. GL with it NB.

Hey brother! IT's good to see you and your smokin avatar are still hangin around!...and thank you.

----------------

I went to the wood shop yesterday, with my camera in hand, and the batteries were dead. Oh well, I do have some progress pics of the neck and it does look similar to the Agile headstock, I went and looked this morning, but it is more angular and as I move on to my next build I might tweak it some more to make it a touch different.

056-1.jpg

057-3.jpg

055-3.jpg

This joint where the tiltback headstock comes in came out great! I wish that the two on the headstock were this tight...they aren't bad, but this one is the bomb diggety!

058-6.jpg

I am going to leave this alone on the back until I get my truss rod and bit from stewmac. I really should be able to order that within the next two weeks:thu:

059-6.jpg

Archived