My new Xaviere is attracting lots of pussy... (NGD Xaviere XV-610)

twotimingpete

• Members

I didn't like the 180's in my xv-650 'til I replaced the .047 cap. with a .020 from stewmac but probably .022 would improve things as well. And with the 180's it's easy to just unscrew and remove a row of the pole pieces for a single coil sound.

• Members

You are a bigger man than I when it comes to adding kittehs to the household
:)

Nice price! I have been eyeballing that particular model. How is the neck profile, and what is it about the Dream 180s that you don't care for?

I find the neck very comfortable. I can compare it directly to my 2009 MIM strat, which has a considerably less chunky neck. The xaviere's is beefier.

The dream 180s are very big, loud, and boomy sounding -- and in my three experiences with them, the bottom end doesn't want to give me a nice tight crunch when I lay on some OD. It seems to have a somewhat flubbier bottom end than I'm looking for. Others have found differently, so either I or they don't know how to describe what they're hearing very well. :) Probably I.

While I can certainly figure out HOW to install a push pull pot and coil split them, I hate soldering all those wires onto those really tiny tabs and have been considering opening the pickguard and just disconnecting the "humbucker mode" wires and closing it back up. :)

• Members

I find the neck very comfortable. I can compare it directly to my 2009 MIM strat, which has a considerably less chunky neck. The xaviere's is beefier.

The dream 180s are very big, loud, and boomy sounding -- and in my three experiences with them, the bottom end doesn't want to give me a nice tight crunch when I lay on some OD. It seems to have a somewhat flubbier bottom end than I'm looking for. Others have found differently, so either I or they don't know how to describe what they're hearing very well.
Probably I.

While I can certainly figure out HOW to install a push pull pot and coil split them, I hate soldering all those wires onto those really tiny tabs and have been considering opening the pickguard and just disconnecting the "humbucker mode" wires and closing it back up.

Thanks for the reply, and now that you said the X neck is beefier than the MIM, you may have pushed me over the edge. :(

Thanks, dammit. :mad:

:poke:

• Members

...been considering opening the pickguard and just disconnecting the "humbucker mode" wires and closing it back up.

FYI, It's not so much disconnecting that you need to do. You'll need to have both leads from the coil you want active connected [one to (+) and one to (-)]. AND if you simply just take the two leads that are currently wrapped together and ground them you will kill one coil, but it may not be the one you want.

Here's some background:

http://www.smitspickups.com/coiltapping.htm

• 2 months later...

Archived