ANOTHER V30 and Greenback COMPARISON...Jet City JCA20H (YOUTUBE CLIP)

Johansolo

• Members

decided to do another comparison but this time with a different amp & guitar (both brighter/less warm sounding) and a different mic position

[video=youtube;_KbS1NUaP6I]

this is the clip i did before...if you havent seen it already...

[video=youtube;pZyqI27vvFk]

• Members

I'm loving these comparisons, interesting stuff!

I've struggled a bit with my 2x12 v30 combo amp. It's hard to get a good presence of mids without the harsh upper mid hump in the Q response getting out of control. It can be really grating if the amp isn't EQ'ed just right. When it is though, it can sound great for edgy blues or OD tones. I can get that combo very close to EC's tone on the bluesbreakers album which is one of my favorite tones. It's a very fine balance though it doesn't take much knob turning to throw it out of whack, and clean tones are even pickier. When it's good though, it's really good.

• Members

I'd have to say on this test (the Jet City, I mean), I might slightly lean towards the Greenback on the first two clips but prefer the Vintage 30 for the higher gain stuff without the boost. Wasn;t crazy about either of them with the boost.

In all instances I prefer the tone of either individual speaker over the more distant miking of both speakers.

I would say the Jet City samples I have less of a preference while with the Framus, the fist couple samples, I decidedly preferred the Vintage 30.

Weird stuff... but I definitely love threads like these... and I know they are quite a bit of work as well.

Archived