wiring upgrade for epi sg400

isuck

• Members

Hmmm. I'd be a little wary of buying stuff like that off ebay, but I am kind of cautious about stuff like that. Anyway, they both seem like really great set ups. Problem is, I have a hard time dropping a hundred bucks woth of wire and such into a fairly cheap guitar with mediocre pickups. If it were my money, I'd go with a SG kit from mojotone for like 50 bucks, and plan on new pickups later, or just drop a hundred on new pickups and keep the current wiring, with a plan on upgrading that in the future. You save about 30 bucks by doing it yourself.

http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-parts/Guitar-Kits/2113382

• Members

Changing outs Pots and switches really won't change the sound any (the caps can, however). You switch those out for reliability reasons and because they generally have a more solid feel to them. I wouldn't bother changing them out simply on there own. If you change pickups then at that time I would go ahead an upgrade the pots/switches.

For $35 (+ shipping from Warmoth) you can get 4 CTS 500K long shaft pots, a LP toggle switch w/ tips (angled or straight), and a Switchcraft jack.

• Members

Wow... that $120 get up seems pretty pricey... You have upgraded the pickups in the Epi, right? $125 used to buy a set of Gibson 57 Classics.

I'm a big believer in quality pots, switches and caps but hell... I probably have only spent $200 or so upgrading ALL the posts, caps and switches in all of my ~12 or so guitars.

For my input, unless the pickups have already been upgraded and he unless he already has a great amp, you'll probably only get a 1% or 2% improvement with either of those electronics upgrades.

• Members

Wow... that $120 get up seems pretty pricey... You have upgraded the pickups in the Epi, right? $125 used to buy a set of Gibson 57 Classics.

I'm a big believer in quality pots, switches and caps but hell... I probably have only spent $200 or so upgrading ALL the posts, caps and switches in all of my ~12 or so guitars.

For my input, unless the pickups have already been upgraded and he unless he already has a great amp, you'll probably only get a 1% or 2% improvement with either of those electronics upgrades.

We have not yet changed the pickups. It needs new pots 1st. The volume on the neck pickup is either off or on and the tone on the bridge is the same. I have ordered all the parts and am going to do it myself. He has two Ok amps. He plays through a digitech rp 355 and splits it to a epi vj and a vox pathfinder 15r. His 1st show with a band is end of the month and will be going rp355 to pa. Thanks for the input, saved me some money.

• Members

SG needs short shaft pots.

Also, if you switch to CTS pots, you will have to ream out the holes a bit. The shafts are larger diameter.

EG

Yeah... definitely short shafts and if you get American spec pots, you'll almost definitely need to ream the holes open a bit.

And I wouldn't use a drill. I'd get a hand reamer or if you have a small round file, it will work... might drive yourself crazy with the slow going, but it will work.

I've never had to ream mahogany so it might act a bit differently, but using a power drill to open up a hole in maple (such as on a strat neck) will likely not go the way you planned.

Just get the reamer. :lol:

• Members

It sounds like you have linear taper pots and you want audio taper. I know it's not what you asked, but if it was me, before I spend a couple hundred on pots, switches and pickups on what is a decent guitar for it's price point I'd consider selling it for $200-$250 and buy a used Gibson Faded for $450-$500.

• Members

It sounds like you have linear taper pots and you want audio taper. I know it's not what you asked, but if it was me, before I spend a couple hundred on pots, switches and pickups on what is a decent guitar for it's price point I'd consider selling it for $200-$250 and buy a used Gibson Faded for $450-$500.

He has tried many a Gibson Faded and just keeps saying I like mine better. The Epi is MIK and seems to be built well. He has been playing it for almost 2 years now. Just a little disclaimer for everybody though. He is only 11. I think for is size the Epi fits him better. I have ordered pots, switch and a jack so I will start there for upgrades and change out the pickups some other time.

• Members

Yeah man... some of those older, Korean Epis are great. I have a 2002 LP Studio that I absolutely like more than any USA Gibson I've ever owned. If he likes it, keep it! I just wouldn't expect much improvement in the actual tone of the guitar with the electronics upgrade. Probably a little bit, but not nearly as much as changing to ANY other pickup. I know your upgrade is more for function than for tone and actually I got a great deal on my Epi LP because the one of the volume pots was bad and the switch was a bit wonky. I actually fixed the switch though. New volume pot and I was good as new. Upgraded the pickups to some used GFS Alnico IIs which were a lot more in line with what I usually use. Absolutely killer guitar for how pitifully little I have in it.

Archived